What would you build?

walter351

Alright guys, I have a rem 700 short action with a magnum bolt face that I do not know what to do with. It is currently a 6.5 rem mag that is in need of a new barrel. I have always been a 6.5 guy, mainly due to this rifle, and just received my recent build which is a 264 Win Mag (2nd 264 win mag).

I am not opposed to another 6.5 cartridge but I always felt I was limited with this cartridge due to the COAL not to mention brass availability. I also have a 7mm rem mag and 300 weatherby so bullet wise those are the 3 that I have a lot of bullets on hand for. I am just looking for some suggestions of cartridges that would optimize the action given the mag bolt face, and hopefully a caliber (264, 284, 308) I already have.

Fire away and thanks for any suggestions.

You could go with one of the Sherman cartridges. They sure put out some impressive numbers. If a wildcat cartridge isnt your thing you could go any of the SAUM or the WSM cartridges. Personally I want a 7 Sherman max. Good luck

the wsm has the same length limitations as the 6.5 rem mag. the saum and prc are better options
I have to second the Sherman wildcats he really has the short action, mag bolt worked out. pick what you want 6mm through 338

6mm SAUM...25 SAUM...or lengthen the mag box and stick with the 6.5 Rem Mag, you're not really too limited anyway unless shooting heavy for caliber VLD's.

Could always do a 300 WSM, they are hard to beat for an all around hunting rifle.

Alright guys, I have a rem 700 short action with a magnum bolt face that I do not know what to do with. It is currently a 6.5 rem mag that is in need of a new barrel. I have always been a 6.5 guy, mainly due to this rifle, and just received my recent build which is a 264 Win Mag (2nd 264 win mag).

I am not opposed to another 6.5 cartridge but I always felt I was limited with this cartridge due to the COAL not to mention brass availability. I also have a 7mm rem mag and 300 weatherby so bullet wise those are the 3 that I have a lot of bullets on hand for. I am just looking for some suggestions of cartridges that would optimize the action given the mag bolt face, and hopefully a caliber (264, 284, 308) I already have.

Fire away and thanks for any suggestions.

Based upon what you have for bullets on-hand, look at the Sherman Wildcat line of cartridges. I am sure that you could find something there to fit whatever type of caliber you would like to build. If not interested in the Sherman Wildcats, "my" choices would be 6.5-284, .270WSM (favorite), or the 7mmWSM; and....with a decent barrel length (26 inch) the 6.5 RemMag is not a bad round either. ALSO what do you intend to hunt/distances/shoot for this build.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.