What 30 cal would you build?

Mram my tacticle play gun only has a 26 inch barrel and shoots the same speeds. I only really use the long barrels so I can cut the tennon off and rechamber my barrel 3 times. I did that 4 times on my 6slr put 5000 rounds through that barrel and it's 24 inches now in a 6bra and still shoots 3/8 inch groups. Guys are getting 2000 rounds out of the 300wsm.

Shep

Thanks guys great info
I just ordered a lone peak Razor action this morning, they are going to cut it for a 4" Wyatt's center feed box so that's a game changer.
I'm going with the 300 PRC
Not trying to get in your chili ..... but I will :) Why would you select the prc with a 4" box? That opens you up for the bigger cartridges unless the barrel life is the limfac. If barrel life is your worry, why a 4" box?

I would ask the same question. The 4.0 Wyatt box is not intended to load from the top and is less than ideal when it's not needed. I have one in my 338 terminator but would not use one for a Nosler or PRC.

Not trying to get in your chili ..... but I will :) Why would you select the prc with a 4" box? That opens you up for the bigger cartridges unless the barrel life is the limfac. If barrel life is your worry, why a 4" box?
I'm shooting the 212 lrx bore rider that requires 3.9 oal in the PRC.
Update the guys at straight jacket armory have the 30 Sherman reamer so that's what I'll be going with on a 26" proof

Update the guys at straight jacket armory have the 30 Sherman reamer so that's what I'll be going with on a 26" proof

Do you know the capacity difference between the 30 Sherman and the 30 Nos using ADG brass? Sounds like a nice build. My prc is built with an LPA and 26" proof.

If I was worried about barrel life I wouldn't be chambering something that needs fire forming though.

Mram my brother has a 24" 300 wsm pushing the 215 Berger 2950ish. He's using RL 26.

Ps it's funny the OP mentioned 4 cartridges he was interested in. People of course recommended cartridges not on his list. The funny part is I've seen posters get ****y when someone suggests a Sherman if it's not on the original list. The Sherman was never mentioned from what I saw yet that is what the OP decided to go with.

Learned something new. Had no idea it was that long of a coal with a borerider. I'd have figured the bullet was hanging on the chamfered edge of the case at that length

Do you know the capacity difference between the 30 Sherman and the 30 Nos using ADG brass? Sounds like a nice build. My prc is built with an LPA and 26" proof.

If I was worried about barrel life I wouldn't be chambering something that needs fire forming though.

Mram my brother has a 24" 300 wsm pushing the 215 Berger 2950ish. He's using RL 26.

Ps it's funny the OP mentioned 4 cartridges he was interested in. People of course recommended cartridges not on his list. The funny part is I've seen posters get ****y when someone suggests a Sherman if it's not on the original list. The Sherman was never mentioned from what I saw yet that is what the OP decided to go with.
Yeah I've been looking at the 30 Sherman for awhile but figured it'd be a hassle getting dies and reamer but since the guys making my barrel have it all ready to go I had to do it.
I believe the capacity difference is a couple grains so it won't be super overbore.
They're using trailboss and a cotton ball to fire form with good success, so there shouldn't be an impact on my barrel life if I use that method.
It'll be nice never having to trim again too..
Pretty excited to start building this thing.

I'm gathering parts to build a lighter weight LR elk rifle (sub 10lbs scoped).
I hunt elk out to 1100 yards and plan on shooting the new 212 Barnes LRX, I shoot a lot (approx 300 rounds a year per rifle) so barrel life needs to be at least 1000-1500.

Barrel length will be 24-26" to accommodate a 4" suppressor.
I've narrowed it down to the following cartridges ONLY:

300 Norma Mag- awesome brass but I'm concerned it will cook barrels..

30 Nos custom throated- maybe decent barrel life and should get a 212 over 3050

300 PRC- probably the best bet but I'm really wanting at least 3050 with said bullet

300 wsm on a LA- super efficient and would be awesome if RL26 got me over 3000fps.
Down side is brass and probably velocity..

I'd love to hear from guys who have any of the above chamberings
30 Sherman Magnum is a souped up 300 prc. It will certainly get you the velocity, talk to Rich about barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.