What would you build with these parts?

Evilsports

Well, like the title says, I'm hoping for advice on a rifle.

I bought some parts for a wildcat 7mm chamber I'm planning on making, but with a long wait for reamer production I'm thinking about having something else put together. Truth be told, I bought a barrel on the spur of the moment and I don't think it's quite "right" for the wildcat.

*Disclaimer* Before I go any further, I just read my first paragraph and it gave me the small impression that I may have some idea about this whole gun building process. Make no mistake!!! I am a dummy with a bit of cash to spend, and a passion for hunting and shooting.. That's all! :D I've never had a custom gun made in my life, the wildcat chamber is largely borrowed advice from somebody else whose judgement I trust.

Ok that said here's where I'm at:

-I have a new Defiance LA with a 20moa rail.

-A new 26" Rock Creek carbon fiber barrel blank in 7mm with an 1-8.7" twist. It is currently getting a 3 gill "Near" muzzle break put on.

-New HS Precision bottom metal with removable 3.6" clip.

That's it. No stock, no trigger, no optics.

Simple question. If you personally had the above components what would you chamber the barrel in? Why?

Thank you,

Kevin.

I should be clear, I'm largely looking for advice on what to build with the barrel. If I need to get another action and/or bottom I'm 100% fine with it.

I just want to optimize the length, caliber, and twist of the barrel.

My first thought would be to start looking at what chambering would rock the 195 Berger coming out and back up plan with the 180 Berger. I personally loath 7mm's but I have a hankering to put together a 7mm-338 Norma mag to launch these Bergers, on a more practical level a 7mm-300 Win may be a better in the long run.

For whatever it's worth this is the reamer I was waiting on when I bought the barrel. I'm now thinking that I'd like a few more inches of barrel for it?

KevinWall.jpg

My first thought would be to start looking at what chambering would rock the 195 Berger coming out and back up plan with the 180 Berger. I personally loath 7mm's but I have a hankering to put together a 7mm-338 Norma mag to launch these Bergers, on a more practical level a 7mm-300 Win may be a better in the long run.

As testament to me completely being in over my head, I had no idea that Berger even had a 195 coming out. I'll read up on it. Thanks.

I settled on the .280 AI for this one. Only because I wanted to go with a 28" barrel for my magnum gun. That and I've had a hankering for this caliber for a few months now.

Seriously considering getting a second build on the go with the 7mm-300 though..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.