What 30 cal would you build?

I'd bet my farm on the PRC never going anywhere, especially with military support.
That's a big reason I'm considering it, that and it improves on the 300 wm.
Also factory ammo is not important to me I don't use it.

I did not know that the PRC had been picked up by the military. I had heard that the Norma had been. The cartridges adopted by the military seem to have some staying power so in that case the PRC might be a safe bet.

Prc, win, Nosler; doesn't make the barrel last any longer if you are pushing the same bullet the same speed. Never understood this theory. Until I see solid evidence that a specific cartridge makes the same amount of energy with less heat and pressure, I won't subscribe.
dont lose your farm :)

I'd bet my farm on the PRC never going anywhere, especially with military support.
That's a big reason I'm considering it, that and it improves on the 300 wm.
Also factory ammo is not important to me I don't use it.

I like the 35 degree shoulder and the capacity of the 30 nos but I've heard a few guys burned them out around 700 rounds.
I believe one guy was @rfurman24??
ADG brass is a serious plus though, I'm thinking it's going to be that or a 300 PRC

I pulled a barrel at ~700 rounds but it was still shooting well under .5 moa at 1k. I pulled it to test a 300 PRC and then on to a 6.5 PRC for a sheep hunt. There is no doubt in my mind that the 30 Nosler is the best hunting 30 cal inside of a 3.85" mag box. The RUM will outperform it no doubt but it really needs more room and the Norma is barely and I mean barley better with the added issues of a lapua bolt face and action. There is only one legitimate reason to chose a 300 PRC over a 30 Nosler. Even with SAAMI chambers the 30 Nosler will outperform the PRC and the gap is greater when you custom throat a 30 Nosler. The reason I could see choosing the PRC is for factory ammo. There will be zero appreciable barrel life difference between cartridges within a couple grains of water capacity when run at the same pressures. My article on Rokslide sums it up and I know which I prefer. Having said that I have a Fierce Rival and a Gunwerks Magnus coming in 300 PRC because of the preloaded ammo for test purposes. It is just easier to use their ammo/factory ammo for test purposes. My custom 30 Nolser is going nowhere.

I'm gathering parts to build a lighter weight LR elk rifle (sub 10lbs scoped).
I hunt elk out to 1100 yards and plan on shooting the new 212 Barnes LRX, I shoot a lot (approx 300 rounds a year per rifle) so barrel life needs to be at least 1000-1500.

Barrel length will be 24-26" to accommodate a 4" suppressor.
I've narrowed it down to the following cartridges ONLY:

300 Norma Mag- awesome brass but I'm concerned it will cook barrels..

30 Nos custom throated- maybe decent barrel life and should get a 212 over 3050

300 PRC- probably the best bet but I'm really wanting at least 3050 with said bullet

300 wsm on a LA- super efficient and would be awesome if RL26 got me over 3000fps.
Down side is brass and probably velocity..

I'd love to hear from guys who have any of the above chamberings

I think you have the right calibers....I would scratch WSM off the list, even though I love that round. Why do you think 300 Norma Mag is a barrel burner with like a 225 Berger or something in it? It is about 3000-3100fps, right? Maybe less in a 24" tube.

I think you might have a bruise maker on your hands. When you subtract 2.5lbs for scope & mount, that's only a 7.5lb rifle! Even with a 5 port MBM Brake, I'll bet that leaves a mark! IMO, the problem is 10lb rifles don't steady in a rest near as well as 15lb rifles, which aren't near as good as 20 lb rifles, which aren't near as good as 50lb rifles. I get that some of this is laughable, but with PRS guys pushing 20lbs, I can see carrying 15, if 1100yds is your target distance.

Here is a sample build....LINK 22.5lbs

I dont understand when people say they wanna such and such calibers but then want 1500 rounds barrel life. I get the shooting alot also but it's not all with my hunting rifles, trigger time is trigger time you can improve your skills just shooting sage rats for instance. On a good year I probably shoot atleast 3,000 rounds through my 17 and 20 cals at sage rats.
Build a 30 Nosler or 30-28 for elk and if your worried about a barrel have a different one for practice or buy 2 barrels.

I'm gathering parts to build a lighter weight LR elk rifle (sub 10lbs scoped).
I hunt elk out to 1100 yards and plan on shooting the new 212 Barnes LRX, I shoot a lot (approx 300 rounds a year per rifle) so barrel life needs to be at least 1000-1500.

Barrel length will be 24-26" to accommodate a 4" suppressor.
I've narrowed it down to the following cartridges ONLY:

300 Norma Mag- awesome brass but I'm concerned it will cook barrels..

30 Nos custom throated- maybe decent barrel life and should get a 212 over 3050

300 PRC- probably the best bet but I'm really wanting at least 3050 with said bullet

300 wsm on a LA- super efficient and would be awesome if RL26 got me over 3000fps.
Down side is brass and probably velocity..

I'd love to hear from guys who have any of the above chamberings
300 win mag bighorn action, proof carbon fiber barrel,AG carbonfiber stock, you pick scope,trigger, and model stock. do the set up as a shoulder fit barrel or savage nut style,that way you can change bolt head size and barrel/cal when you want with in 20 mins yourself at home and 300 rounds a year is not much I do 1000+ just for practice.The barrel is the cheapest thing in your set up. watch this

300 win mag bighorn action, proof carbon fiber barrel,AG carbonfiber stock, you pick scope,trigger, and model stock. do the set up as a shoulder fit barrel or savage nut style,that way you can change bolt head size and barrel/cal when you want with in 20 mins yourself at home and 300 rounds a year is not much I do 1000+ just for practice.The barrel is the cheapest thing in your set up. watch this

Nice
Yeah really into prefits, I've done quite a few on Tikkas and Rems.
I'm going with either a Bighorn SR3 or a Lone peak Razor.
The barrels aren't cheap though I'm looking at $750 + with muzzle threads, it'd be nice if it lasted 4-5 years.

Hard to beat the accuracy and barrel life of a wsm. Throat it long and do a long action and it will do 2950 with a 210 vld. Good to 1000 yards no problem. That combo kicks butt at 1000 yard matches all the time. Super easy to tune and stays in tune.
Shep

I think the PRC would do you well and then you could fill us all in on how it performs! On it's surface it seems to be a performer but we know the hype from big companies like Hornady. like another said can't have too many guns and I have been eyeballing the 300PRC since I picked up the PRC in 6.5!

I pulled a barrel at ~700 rounds but it was still shooting well under .5 moa at 1k. I pulled it to test a 300 PRC and then on to a 6.5 PRC for a sheep hunt. There is no doubt in my mind that the 30 Nosler is the best hunting 30 cal inside of a 3.85" mag box. The RUM will outperform it no doubt but it really needs more room and the Norma is barely and I mean barley better with the added issues of a lapua bolt face and action. There is only one legitimate reason to chose a 300 PRC over a 30 Nosler. Even with SAAMI chambers the 30 Nosler will outperform the PRC and the gap is greater when you custom throat a 30 Nosler. The reason I could see choosing the PRC is for factory ammo. There will be zero appreciable barrel life difference between cartridges within a couple grains of water capacity when run at the same pressures. My article on Rokslide sums it up and I know which I prefer. Having said that I have a Fierce Rival and a Gunwerks Magnus coming in 300 PRC because of the preloaded ammo for test purposes. It is just easier to use their ammo/factory ammo for test purposes. My custom 30 Nolser is going nowhere.
Thanks for clearing that up, I read on LRO that you'd cooked it at 700 rounds not that you pulled it for another test.
Did you by chance check to see how much throat erosion there was?
Has the 30 Nos ADG brass been tough and consistent?
I'm liking everything about the case design but only one good brass maker has me nervous.

After building a 300 PRC for the exact same reason I would go with the WSM. The Norma requires the larger bolt face which I didn't want to go with. The length of this bullet is challenging with a long action cartridge. Just my .02.

I am working on the same project you are and I have decided to go with a 300 wsm. Here is why...
1. The cartridge is the most efficient one on your list
2. I have a good set of dies and about 300 pieces of brass that I bought years ago before I sold off my 300 wsm (that doesn't help you any sorry)
3. I'm using a tikka action with their long action magazines that will accommodate an overall length of 3.3" that is a game changer for the 300 wsm! With the long bullet seated way out the wsm comes into its own.
4. Tikka actions come with a good trigger, are light, smooth, have most of the features of a custom action at a much more affordable price.
5. For a light weight rifle burning less powder is a good thing for recoil.
6. The wsm doesn't need as much barrel length to achieve optimum performance because of the lower case capacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts