• 30 SS

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 300 Sherman Mag

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • 30 MAX

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

CjC73

So I've been trying to decide what to build next. I currently have a Rem 700 LA w/ mag bolt face, McMillan stock with a Wyatt's box and standard BDL bottom.

I currently have, or will have by end of this week, a 338 Sherman and just put together a 280AI. I have a couple 260s (trying to sell one to fund this build), a 264 win mag and a 6.5 Swede. A Mark V 270wby, a Rem 308 LTR, Browning x-bolt white medallion 300wm, a Mauser 338-284, 35 Whelan and a 358Win.

On the smaller side I have two 257wbys, a 25wsm, 257 Roberts AI, 6mm crede and a 6BR.

So it's not a need....more of a want. Just looking for others opinions.

The 300 Sherman Mag is the ONLY Sherman cartridge that makes sense in a Rem 700 LA with a magnum bolt face. Putting any of the SAUM variants in an action with a 3.6" magazine is the rough equivalent of buying size 12 shoes for someone who wears a size 9.

Even with the heaviest of bullets and a LOT of freebore, the SS cartridges aren't going to be much longer than 3.2".

If you had a standard bolt face, one of the long action Shermans (besides the 338 you already have) would be an excellent choice.

The SS cartridges are a better fit in a short (SS or SST) or intermediate action (Sherman Max). If the 300 Sherman Mag does not interest you (or if you have your heart set on one of the short action Shermans), you may wish to consider trading someone for an action that is a better fit.

Your Rem 700 LA will, of course, function just fine for any of the SS cartridges. No issue there. But, going with something that leaves around .500" of space in the magazine would be leaving a LOT of potential on the table.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts