North American Fires

If you want a story on a gorse fire see if you can find info on the fire of Bandon Oregon...
That town nearly burnt to the ground with a summer fire....
And all able were put to work fighting fires...
There were ashes floating in the air a long ways from main fire and people were putting out those fires over 20 miles away....
A couple weeks ago my son and I were standing outside our temporary rental house in Downey..when out of the sky fell a piece of something just bigger than a silver dollar....the dog beat me to it...but the remaining piece showed it was a piece of ash....there weren't any fires even close to Downey when this came down......

38814382_1927964233930249_8831610718118739968_o.jpg

Kiwi definitely appreciate the concern, and also the crews from your neck of the woods answering the call for help!

You can see from the picture what our issues are. There are miles of forest out there in exactly this condition.

HARPERC, Back in 2009 my wife and I spent five weeks on our honeymoon driving up through Canada into Alaska. A Lady in the souvenir shop in Tok AK (best souvenir shop I have ever been to) told us about a fire they had up there a couple of years earlier that burnt 6 million acres up the road from Tok to Chicken AK. We drove that road on our way to Dawson City in the Yukon and for 50 plus miles all we could see was burnt trees on both sides of the road for as far as the eye could see.
As for our crews coming over to help you out I would like to remind and thank the American people for the help that we received from your search and rescue staff in the Christchurch earthquake and again for the help from a US warship that dropped supplies (from memory) into Kaikoura after the 7.8 Kaikoura earthquake in November 2016.

On that same trip we ran into a prescribed fire in the Canadian Rockies which made taking scenery photos challenging. They were trying to stop the spreed of some beetle. We ran into a Black Bear sitting on the side of the road and it didn't look impressed about all the smoke.
Somkey the Bear.JPG

This is what happens as sad as it is when foresters are not allowed to manage the forest but the politicians and the tree huggers take charge of things that they just don't understand

Timber is a crop and is meant to be harvested , it was not intended to stand there for ever and not be used
**** straight. The subdivision that I live in was clear cut in the 80's. It is now covered with 20" dia trees that are 80' tall. I live in a 35 year old forest. Crazy! And it never burnt to a crisp in order to grow! Must be a fluke.

A couple of years ago we had a pretty good fire going just out of town to the west. Our wind comes from the west, so it was a bit concerning. The fire service set up an information station in the grocery store parking lot. So I asked the fire service info babe if they intended to put this fire out orif they were going to manage it. She replied that they had to put this one out because there were to many houses near by. They brought in some jet aircraft slurry bombers and basically snuffed it in a day. They can put them out if They want.

Disgusting!

Steve

The argument "preserving for future generations", is just a marketing ploy. Just another way to deny access. Y2Y is an actual goal, burning every thing in between is a strategy, and you're in the way Steve

I started fighting fires in 1970. The first one I was on burned 1/4 million acres around Lake Chelan in Wa. I nearly burned up 2 of the first 3 days I was there by pyromaniacs from region 5 (California) setting back fires behind us. Pretty scary for a flatlander from Michigan. The cat Skinner I was leading around punching holes for a fire break barely got the 2 of us out alive. When we got back to Basecamp, he looked up the boss of the back fire crew and picked him up with one hand with a handful of his shirt and pinned him against a tree so he could get him at eye level and have a chat with him! This guy was about 6'4" and probably weighed around 230. ZERO FAT!
He got the msg accross pretty well!

Never knew you were a Michigander from way back. What area? That's one thing we don't have to worry too much about here in the mitten. The UP a little more so. I did just see a story in the local liberal news about how the global warming was causing all the fires out west. Strangely there wasn't any of the good info that's in this thread.

The link below is to an old article, but to my knowledge, it still has not been used on our local fires........ That is one impressive firefighting tool, that you would think the Forest Service would be all over. You can tell that they don't see trees as dollars anymore.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...t-firefighting-aircraft-grounded-by-u-s-govt/

....An article elsewhere suggest one of these regionally could end most fires before local crews have boots on the ground.
....Too much power, money and ego in the bureaucracy of the fire fighting industry.