North American Fires

Mccammon Idaho....this morning at 8am could hardly see 5 miles....smoke laid I,to the basin.....then the heat got it moving and about 1pm couldn't see the sky for a while.....now it's lifting......be ugly again tomorrow.....like it has been for the last couple months......

Fire Fighters are stretched to the limit right around the globe it seems. I see parts of Australia are having bush fires and it is the middle of winter down in this part of the world.

I started fighting fires in 1970. The first one I was on burned 1/4 million acres around Lake Chelan in Wa. I nearly burned up 2 of the first 3 days I was there by pyromaniacs from region 5 (California) setting back fires behind us. Pretty scary for a flatlander from Michigan. The cat Skinner I was leading around punching holes for a fire break barely got the 2 of us out alive. When we got back to Basecamp, he looked up the boss of the back fire crew and picked him up with one hand with a handful of his shirt and pinned him against a tree so he could get him at eye level and have a chat with him! This guy was about 6'4" and probably weighed around 230. ZERO FAT!
He got the msg accross pretty well!
That's my hometown Rich!
I wasn't around in the 70's but I do remember choking on smoke every summer as the north Cascades ripped. Firestorm 1996 was pretty terrifying in north central washington.
I believe forest management was severely reduced on the Okanogan- Wenatchee national forest in the early 80's, the mills are gone in that region and now it would be hard to put up viable timber sales.
I'm a Forester so I can't tell you guys how frustrating it is to see the mismanagement of our western forests.
I know the Trump administration is taking this seriously so let's hope momentum shifts.
This simply can not continue.

Anybody watched videos of the smoke in bc? Just google. At three in the afternoon is dark out and vehicles are driving with headlights on. Bad deal

Anybody watched videos of the smoke in bc? Just google. At three in the afternoon is dark out and vehicles are driving with headlights on. Bad deal
That is terrible.

It is raining here today. Feels like thefall cycle has started. Bad news for the Fire Service. It is hard to keep the fires going when it is cool and wet.

Steve

We just had stage 3 fire restrictions lifted, and we're thankful for the productive monsoon season. Thoughts and prayers to areas who aren't as lucky as we are this Summer!

Today has been the worst smoke so far. Sounds like a change in the weather is coming next week.

All they have to do is put them out when they start. They can let the wilderness burn to a crisp. Save the federal And state land.

Steve

British Columbia is burning again, they suspect 26 cases of arson so far

Sure seems like we have an arson problem, not so much a wildfire problem, california had that serial arsonist running around too. and then we had the dumb **** burn down most of the columbia gorge here in oregon cause he just wanted to have some lol's with fire crackers in the middle of the dry season.

I'd be curious how many major fires are derived from lightning vs human causes, it wouldn't surprise me if humans are the major issue here.

.....I'd be curious how many major fires are derived from lightning vs human causes, it wouldn't surprise me if humans are the major issue here......

Fire has been weaponized for thousands of years, a certain percentage has always been arson, human stupidity always needs to be taken into account. The issues in my mind are way beyond as simple as firecrackers, illegal or otherwise. Holding the "experts" that truly own this mess accountable is much more difficult.

Our election cycle has the Commissioner of Public Lands on the ballot. There was a commercial with her speaking to rural property owners on "fire safety". Yet our public lands are not being managed to that basic level. Questions, and comments directed toward her through her social media site, and other traditional methods go unanswered, and she is conspicuous by her absence during this time.

If politicians spent as much time making public lands safe, as they do creating sanctuary cities over the last decade perhaps this mess would be small enough to manage. Meaning a couple of kids with firecrackers couldn't cause catastrophes of this size.

What do you suppose the "carbon tax" for this debacle would cost, who pays it, and who would benefit? We've allowed our political systems to be hijacked to serve really stupid causes. I suppose portable outhouses for fire crews could be the model for respecting all genders though.

On the news there's a Facebook group from Spokane Washington with 1k members who are putting five box fans on their house roofs, trying to blow the smoke from bc back to Canada.
Lol, people love to think they're in control

Recent Posts