Texas Fires!

1 report was a power pole broke and was near/at the site of ignition. Can't confirm with 100% truth of report?
Dang this is the first I have heard about fires in Tx. I still don't understand why the National Guard & Military Bases close by, are not called out to help extinguish fires when they first look to get out of control. They should be on alert whenever we have these kinds of fires. I would think the Engineers could be putting in fire breaks. The aviation units could be used to help drop water or some form of chemical to help put the fire out also. It's crazy we pay for all this equipment & training. Why not train some of these units to help w/ fires ? They have a lot of the equipment already needed. And what they don't have. Get it for them. To me that is protecting the country. Just in another fashion. Man I hate to see people burned out. They will never be able to replace what they had.

Dang this is the first I have heard about fires in Tx. I still don't understand why the National Guard & Military Bases close by, are not called out to help extinguish fires when they first look to get out of control. They should be on alert whenever we have these kinds of fires. I would think the Engineers could be putting in fire breaks. The aviation units could be used to help drop water or some form of chemical to help put the fire out also. It's crazy we pay for all this equipment & training. Why not train some of these units to help w/ fires ? They have a lot of the equipment already needed. And what they don't have. Get it for them. To me that is protecting the country. Just in another fashion. Man I hate to see people burned out. They will never be able to replace what they had.

I may be incorrect, but with the high winds and dry grass…..pretty much unstoppable! Help with evacuation……absolutely! memtb

Having been through several large wildfires here in NorCal the last few years my heart felt thoughts and prayers go to all of Texas and all affected. ARlife4me I am sorry for your loss with the tractors but very happy your home is safe. I have several friends that have lost homes and property here in NorCal over the last few years. A really good friend and shooting buddy from Santa Rosa Ca lost his entire house and one vehicle and only made it out with a couple rifles, one car and their dogs. That was about 5 or 6 years ago and he told me all of his remaining guns locked in high dollar fire proof safes all melted to molten blobs of goo. Thankfully they had good insurance but holy life changer.... Thoughts and prayers, Jason

I may be incorrect, but with the high winds and dry grass…..pretty much unstoppable! Help with evacuation……absolutely! memtb
We do a lot of burning here in the midwest on CRP. I have burned off 40 acres of switch grass in 2 minutes before. Once it is lit it makes its own wind due to updrafts. We try to burn on very low wind days and wet stuff down ahead of time. If any of this stuff ever gets going on a high wind day, it would burn everything to the ground at 60 miles per hour. No way to haul enough water to put that out. Scary stuff!
Here is one of the calmest days we have burned. At about the 6:00 minute mark is where the "front burn" starts. Flames hit about 20 foot high.

It was always interesting to grow up in rural Midwest farming communities.

Farmers routinely burned off acreage but the big difference in my area was the fact that the local fire departments were always on the scene with fire trucks designed to fight grass/field fires. Tankers with water were in reserve but farmers paid close attention to the wind conditions first and foremost. Bordering acreage was wet down in preparation for the burn off. These farms were typical of the Midwest, not very big by comparison to farms I saw in Texas. Much too big for your typical 'controlled' burn.

Arizona tries to fight forest fires with that stupid action they love to call 'controlled burns'. Yea, right! They should be sued for the 10,000 of thousands of acres they have 'accidentally' burned when those 'controlled burns' got out of control.

There was a question on another forum regarding the safety of David Tubb since he is located in or near the fire area.

Some diligent tracking down provided the answer that both he and his family were safe. The shop was intact.

Twice during droughts and fires in Texas, I moved 115 performance horses to safety in another part of the state. After the second time, I moved everything I could get onto trucks to a state with rainfall and little to no chance of fires.

:)
There's a fireproof State? Haven't heard of that one..... unless it's just got TORNADOES!

It was always interesting to grow up in rural Midwest farming communities.

Farmers routinely burned off acreage but the big difference in my area was the fact that the local fire departments were always on the scene with fire trucks designed to fight grass/field fires. Tankers with water were in reserve but farmers paid close attention to the wind conditions first and foremost. Bordering acreage was wet down in preparation for the burn off. These farms were typical of the Midwest, not very big by comparison to farms I saw in Texas. Much too big for your typical 'controlled' burn.

Arizona tries to fight forest fires with that stupid action they love to call 'controlled burns'. Yea, right! They should be sued for the 10,000 of thousands of acres they have 'accidentally' burned when those 'controlled burns' got out of control.
My buddy in that video I posted once had his truck get stuck in the mud in the path of the big fire that was coming. He sprayed down the grass close to his truck and lit a circle of fire around his truck. The guy that was with him was about to have a heart attack. "What the **** are you doing?" was repeated over and over.
He soon realized that it saved them and the truck by burning a big circle around them so that when the big fire reached them it just dissappeared.(what has been burned can't burn again)

I doubt down in Texas they were fighting mud when the fire hit. That is the big difference between here and there. We have to worry about a fire getting away because it is too muddy.

Recent Posts