Texas auodad

I was hoping a member could help me decide on a good but yet budget DIY auodad hunt in Texas any info would be greatly appreciated
With the private land versus public land situation in Texas it looks like this will be very tough I might have to start looking at New Mexico

I was hoping a member could help me decide on a good but yet budget DIY auodad hunt in Texas any info would be greatly appreciated

Could you define budget? You will be looking at about $3K on most of the places I am aware of. I typically hunt free range Aoudad in the Palo Duro Canyon area. I know a great guide, but he doesn't offer DIY as it is on private property and he is very selective on what they shoot there. They typically shoot 30-35" rams with very long and shaggy chaps, unlike the ones off of the high fence opperations.

Could you define budget? You will be looking at about $3K on most of the places I am aware of. I typically hunt free range Aoudad in the Palo Duro Canyon area. I know a great guide, but he doesn't offer DIY as it is on private property and he is very selective on what they shoot there. They typically shoot 30-35" rams with very long and shaggy chaps, unlike the ones off of the high fence opperations.
$3000 is more I want to spend right now by the time you add in travel food mount etc. you are way on up there but everything is a trade off between cost and trophy quality I'm not ruling it out but I am looking for something a little less expensive That is why I mention DIY

Last edited:
Caprock outfitters. Look them up on fb. They do long range. I haven't hunted with them but I have shot with them.

$3000 is more I want to spend right now by the time you add in travel food mount etc. you are way on up there but everything is a trade off between cost and trophy quality I'm not ruling it out but I am looking for something a little cheaper That is why I mention DIY
Not a problem at all. I understand completely. The guy I was referring to hunts his own ranch that boarders the Palo Duro Canyon State Park. He definitely has the quality. He usually has a few bowhunters each year that take some very nice rams. The last time I was there we saw a herd of 40+ (more than we typically see in one herd, but it was impressive)

OTC Barbary tags are tough hunts. Probably going to want at least 4-5 days if your coming from out of state. Take a look at statistics by unit as well. A majority of the sheep taken in NM are taken in the draw units.

OTC Barbary tags are tough hunts. Probably going to want at least 4-5 days if your coming from out of state. Take a look at statistics by unit as well. A majority of the sheep taken in NM are taken in the draw units.
I definitely plan on hunting at least five possibly seven days

Recent Posts