Texas Dall

sniperjwt

Well over the past couple months i have been working up different loads in several of my guns and about a month ago i asked you guys what gun i should take on my Texas Dall hunt. Well i am back and here is my story.

After much discussion i decided to take my 300wsm shooting the 168 SMKs at 3100fps. This has been a tack driver ever since i got it.

The morning hunt i was dropped off overlooking a clearing that was about 200yds long. It was sprinkling rain about all morning and i did not see any rams so we went back to the lodge at around 1 to get some lunch and back out we went. This time i was dropped off on what was almost a cliff. The guide said to look over and there was a lot of animals used the valley to go to the fields. Well i sat there all afternoon and did not see anything. When it was starting to loose light i herd the fourwheeler comming so i started packing up my stuff and figured the day was over when the guide come racing up and said jump on we just spotted one so i jumped on and off we went. After about a mile ride we stopped in the middle of a field and he said that the ram was seen on the other side of a little section of woods that bordered the field we were in. After about 10-15minutes of nervously waiting the ram came into a clearing in the woods but was facing away from us so i had no shot. He then dissapeared back into the woods as we moved to try to cut off where he was headed. I got by a tree and got a good rest. After another little wait he finally walked out into the field but he seen the 4wheeler and turned and started to walk back into the woods but just before he dissapeared he make one fatal mistake. He stopped to look back and when he did i already had the crosshairs on him. Bang-Flop. The shot was just over 100 yards. We walked up to him and the first thing i did was flip him over to see if the bullet come out. It did not come out it dumped all of its energy inside the ram which is what i like a bullet to do. Here is a some pics for your enjoyment.

rampencilsketch.jpg

104-0465_IMG.jpg

104-0466_IMG.jpg

104-0471_IMG.jpg

104-0465_IMG.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.