Best dall sheep bullet

I usually don't make posts, just read and try to learn from everyone else…but I have booked a hunt in 2025 and wanted opinions on a what bullet I should use for Dall sheep. Will probably be shooting a 300 win, but am also considering a 257 weatherby. Leaning heavily towards absolute hammers.

First…..I am very (VERY) opinionated, and will be observed in my response!

Provided, you keep your maximum range to shots that will give you reliable expansion, my answer is "ALWAYS" the same…..a mono bullet!

When hunting always prepare for the unexpected…..the "unexpected" is often a "worst case scenario"! When in Dall Sheep country, your firearm may be forced to "multitask"! Make certain that your bullet can perform in a worst case scenario!

Mono's….. The Hammers or the Barnes TTSX or LRX, would be a good place to start! memtb

I usually don't make posts, just read and try to learn from everyone else…but I have booked a hunt in 2025 and wanted opinions on a what bullet I should use for Dall sheep. Will probably be shooting a 300 win, but am also considering a 257 weatherby. Leaning heavily towards absolute hammers.
I just use a berger 215 hybird and have taken many over the past 20 years from 100 - 700 yds this year useing a new 6.5 PRC with the 156 berger. the next day after the sheep was taken a a buds son stopped this grizz with a 375 H&H at 20 feet after two rounds from a 30/06 it had a black bear it was feeding on

Attachments

• 524482_502789243070630_1962154408_n.jpg
    524482_502789243070630_1962154408_n.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 79
  • grizz 003.jpg
    grizz 003.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

great to hear that you're booked and getting your ducks in a row. If you don't mind, who did you book with and in what range?

Plenty of great bullets out there, grab a few of them and let your gun tell you which one it likes. Perhaps consider contacting Steve @ Hammer and cuss and discuss this with him. He'll probably want to know how you're twisted.

I'd be leaning to the 257 but would have to see how each rifle is scoped and configured. The 90 Hammer Absolutes would grab my attention, they shoot well in my 9 twist 25/06.

As previously posted, they are easy to kill, but you only find them in places where there are other, as my kids would say, Danger ploofs..so your needs need to be able to handle that...A good mono bullet will out of your 257bee will do both. Generally speaking, the grizzly you may encounter are generally smaller in the mountains, but there are exceptions..also you may encounter wolves and wolverines...

My experience has been that the full curls are generally on the next ridge 500 to 600 yrds. And they have very good eyes so approaching is difficult. I took my 257 Weatherby Mark and it was a 12 twist so no heavy bullets - 100 gains worked. You need a flat shooting gun. They aren't hard to kill.

By the way, my guide also carried a 257 WM but he shot 120's. On his hunt just before mine the hunter shot a grizzly poorly and the guide dropped it at 200 yrds.

The meat is, I think, the absolutely best meal I have ever had. So I would vote for Hammers.

Thanks for all the information. I have a load with the hammers for my 300 Winchester which is very accurate and will most likely make the cut. We are booked with Mike Litzen, will be my 4th time to hunt with him, outstanding outfitter who has put together a great group of guides.