Just wondering how many know the difference between calibre and cartridge?

I am often asked what CARTRIDGE I am USING, which I will reply correctly as to what it is.
I am also asked often what CALIBRE I am SHOOTING, which I will reply with whatever CALIBRE it is that I am using, then I will get the quizical what bullet or ammo are you using.
It is quite obvious many do not know the difference between cartridge, calibre, bullet and case.

I work in a gunshop every few years when I need a break from cutting trees, building race engines, but I never give up building rifles for myself and a select few buddies I shoot with.
Anyway, I had a customer wanting to buy a 300 Magnum, I explained not all magnums in 30 cal are the SAME CARTRIDGE, there are in fact lots of different ones available. Another worker piped up with not all magnums are magnums, which totally confused the guy.
I said to him to handle several rifle brands and then settle on what rifle he liked before deciding on cartridge.
He ended up buying a Win Model 70 Super Grade in 300WM, which I threw in 100 rounds of Winnie 180gr Power Points to get him started.
A few weeks later he came back complaining that another shop sold him ammo that didn't fit his gun and he wanted to go hunting that weekend... it was 300WSM ammo, not 300WM ammo, when I told him this, he said what's the difference?
In the end, I got 100 once fired Winchester 300WM cases and 100 once fired Remington 300WM cases out of him.
I still get cases from him, but not those quantities, he still doesn't handload.

I have a non shooting buddy that still believes the ENTIRE cartridge comes out of the barrel even after shooting a few in front of him.
He also talks of 'spent bullets', which I have explained numerous times there is no such thing, they continue on until they hit SOMETHING.

Cheers.

The caliber and cartridge are stamped on the barrel. Only use ammo that matches what is stamped on the barrel.

+1
This is the best advice to give someone that doesn't understand.
and convince them that the ammo ID perfectly matches the barrel Id.

I have even had people tell me that If they did that they could only buy Remington ammo.:confused: Because there rifle said 'Remington 700 280 rem'
So then I have to show them the difference in the rifle brand and the ammo. Go figure o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O And they walk among us.

J E CUSTOM

Someone can get all bent out of shape over someone else saying caliber when they would have preferred them to say cartridge or chambering. I suppose its their right, but mostly they are just annoying. I hope they have fun with their ulcer.

Just for fun I just clicked through every American manufacturer's site that I could think of. (probably a waste of time)

Turns out that you can select any maker you want, any model you want, scroll through the specs and if you're wondered what its chambered in, or what cartridges it will take if you can find that out too. It'll be in a nice neat little column labelled "Calibers" and it isn't bore and groove they are listing. Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, Savage, Kimber, Cooper, it doesn't matter.

Words have more than one meaning. Languages evolve. Get over it.

Azreal your attitude will go a long way in helping the uninformed shooters out there. It appears you do not want to learn correct terminology which is sad. However most shooters like to learn it so they do not end up looking for lack of a better term stupid at some point in there life. Many who use the incorrect term use them because this is what they were taught growing up. If you read MagnumManiac's post there is a perfect example why we need to educate ourselves on the language of shooting. Not only that we should be ready and willing to learn something new everyday. We are not old dogs we can learn new tricks and sometimes we should.

I believe what Wild Bill was trying to start here is a discussion about helping others. Not to jump on an 'all knowing soap box' and tell everyone else how dumb they are. One does need to approach this topic carefully due to the way that some may take it. But, the intent here is not to judge or ridicule anyone. And yes, there are more issues in life to worry about than rather or not someone uses perfect grammar and perfect words to describe every detail of life. The point is that not all of the information out there is good information. And when dealing with guns we all need to educate ourselves on proper usage (even terminology). There is a safety factor tied to this topic that can not be over emphasized enough. And it is that terrible to help someone understand the difference here? Because there is a difference. And that difference can (and has) caused accidents that could have been avoided. That is where the real issue with this topic lies in my opinion. It has nothing to do with a superiority complex or being a jerk. Its about making something that everyone on this site loves to do better.

I am thankful that I had a mentor that taught me the differences and helped make sense of all of the questions I had. It made me enjoy shooting and reloading a lot more and is a big part of why I can't get enough of it today. I am also very thankful for the members on this site that share their wisdom and experience. There are people on here that really know their stuff and have a wealth of knowledge to share. And I am really glad that they do! Because I enjoy learning from others who know way more than I do!

Azreal your attitude will go a long way in helping the uninformed shooters out there. It appears you do not want to learn correct terminology which is sad. However most shooters like to learn it so they do not end up looking for lack of a better term stupid at some point in there life. Many who use the incorrect term use them because this is what they were taught growing up. If you read MagnumManiac's post there is a perfect example why we need to educate ourselves on the language of shooting. Not only that we should be ready and willing to learn something new everyday. We are not old dogs we can learn new tricks and sometimes we should.
I admire your devotion to teaching people the correct terminology, but it is clear he knows the difference and doesn't need to learn the difference. At a certain point you have to accept that people aren't going to always use the proper grammar, terminology, or syntax. If you beat on the same drum over and over people are going to get tired of it.

And he has a valid point that the gun manufacturers are using the incorrect terminology and they have a much bigger audience, which is a much bigger issue than what we call it on this board or to a few people at a gun range.

I've been reloading for nearly 30 years now and have a handle on the terminology, thanks.

However, lets take a look at your post, since you like accuracy.

The calibre is the ize of the bore of your rifle for example .308,.264,.284 and so on.

Nope; the bore would be .300, .256 and .277". You gave the groove diameter. Oh the horror, please someone think of the children.

I just got this from Bruno's...

2CED341A-6F65-4591-A5E1-2E948F3BDD05.jpeg

Azreal in my initial post I asked if I had made any mistakes to correct me And your point about caliber was pointed out to me. However you know as a reloader you can not duy .300 inch bullets but you can buy .308 inch bullets. Now I have know idea why the bullet makers sthave done this but they have. The same with rifle manufacturers calling the chamberings the caliber it is totally wrong. With knowledge Azreal you have to agree with that fact. My intention with this thread was to help the ones who did not know the difference between the2 terms. However it appears that I have given guys like you who know so much something to belly ache about. The truth is this thread should not bother you at all and I don't know why it is.

We'll have on the ballot here-more gun legislation. Written by people likely not using correct terminology, and voted for people that are ignorant enough not to realize they've turned themselves into criminals

Azreal in my initial post I asked if I had made any mistakes to correct me And your point about caliber was pointed out to me. However you know as a reloader you can not duy .300 inch bullets but you can buy .308 inch bullets. Now I have know idea why the bullet makers sthave done this but they have. The same with rifle manufacturers calling the chamberings the caliber it is totally wrong. With knowledge Azreal you have to agree with that fact. My intention with this thread was to help the ones who did not know the difference between the2 terms. However it appears that I have given guys like you who know so much something to belly ache about. The truth is this thread should not bother you at all and I don't know why it is.

The mailman dropped off 1000 Bergers yesterday. Half of those are marked 30 Cal, and I really don't think they meant California. No mention of the actual .308 diameter. The 7mm doesn't say Cal, or anything else so we're just left to know that the bullets are .284". 7 mm is actually .277" so don't insist that you are given 7mm diameter bullets for your 7mm or you're getting the .270s.

Sierra and Nosler are pretty good about giving the nominal caliber and the actual diameter. Swift can go either way. Woodleigh likes to list what actual cartridge they had in mind and the diameter. It must just kill you to see a cartridge designation on a box of bullets.

Words have more than one meaning and usage and languages evolve. You're just going to have to come to grips with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.