How many shots between cleanings for a ML?

The Oregonian

I have a hunt coming up and am trying to get it dialed the last little bit. After being used to the accuracy of a centerfire a ML can be frustrating. I am doing testing on it this weekend at the range and the answer will be wherever I get the best accuracy and stable velocities, but am curious what others have found with a cleaning cadence.

I am shooting a recently purchased CVA Accura LR-X 50cal and am shooting with BH209.

Run a patch after ever shot, and clean at the end of the day. Not to change the subject but does anyone know where to get real black powder? FF preferred. Thank you.

I shoot a CVA Paramount which was designed around BH209 and are notorious for liking a dirty bore. My particular rife shoots best after 3-4 fouling shots after cleaning. Once I'm dialed in I don't dare clean the gun until the hunt is over. Only then is there a good cleaning. There's a Facebook group devoted entirely to this ML if you care to check it out and risk catching the disease.

I use a patch with Alcohol on it after every shot. I clean it thoroughly after each shooting session. The Alcohol will dry fast and since you are starting with a clean barrel it seems to work. Just my thoughts but it seems to work for me.

Thanks for the replies. How many shots will you shoot at the range? Or put another way, if you have plenty of time to be there a while, after how many shots would you do a deeper clean while at the range?

I shoot the CVA optima V2 LR with BH209. It's shoots really well (3/4MOA or so) with 110gr by volume behind the 290gr TEZ. We have killed two elk with it at that 75-80yrd mark, and it's not a primitive weapon to say the least. Very impressive load. If I don't clean after every shot, the groups open up. I use the TC wet patches NO. 13 in between shots because it's so quick and convenient. After every time out with 5 or more firings, I clean the firing pin and spring by soaking them in Bore Tech

I have a Thompson Encore and I patch the barrel after each shot unless I am hunting and the animal needs another round quickly. I found that muzzel velocity drops off as much as 50 to 100 FPS unless I patch the barrel between each shot, I verified this with a chronograph. When You are dialing your gun in, patch the bore after every shot so you maintain that consistent velocity. I am running Pyrodex magnum pellets with a 290gr Barnes TMZ at 2050FPS. I am now experimenting with Blackhorn 209 because some guru claims its so clean burning you can shoot 10 rounds without a swab, we shall see.

I shoot the CVA optima V2 LR with BH209. It's shoots really well (3/4MOA or so) with 110gr by volume behind the 290gr TEZ. We have killed two elk with it at that 75-80yrd mark, and it's not a primitive weapon to say the least. Very impressive load. If I don't clean after every shot, the groups open up. I use the TC wet patches NO. 13 in between shots because it's so quick and convenient. After every time out with 5 or more firings, I clean the firing pin and spring by soaking them in Bore Tech

The last time I had an ML tag I would shoot 6-8 practice rounds a session before it would get difficult to load. I would run a spit patch between each round and I literally mean spit. I would chew on a cotton patch on my walk to the target. At the end of the session I would always clean it with just hot water and dish soap.

CVA accura v2 and was always impressed with its accuracy with iron sights in CO. My best bull was taken at 163 meters with it compared to my worst bull taken with a 270 at 25 meters.

image.jpg

All, I shoot a Rem ML's first and second generation guns.
Started with 3F,2F, Pyrodex, 777, and now BH209.
By far the BH209 is the cleanest!
I clean after 4 shots!
Hard to find at the moment.
Mark

I shoot a TC Encore. It had a very tight bore. Could bearly push a power belt down the bore. Broke 2 rods trying sabot rounds. Clean barrel to a single fired dirty barrel was a foot difference at 100 yards. A third shot would be same as second buy 4th would drop again. So I cleaned barrel between every shot. Used 3 bore snakes one wet. 1 dry and 1 with bore butter. Could shoot clean and shoot next shot in under a minute. Would pattern under 4 inches at 300 yards.