How many shots before letting the barrel cool

So the general rule of thump is: If the barrel is too hot to touch, then it is too hot to shoot and you should wait 15 minutes to let it cool off, is that correct? Thanks

I usually bring 3 to 4 different rifles, shoot one, let cool while shooting another. And don't shoot the first one until it's the same temp as it was before the first shot.
Also that mattress pump fitted to hook up to the chamber is about the best idea. Should cut down cooling time immensely. I'll shoot '06 size a little more than I will the bigger cases like one of my rums l, those get hot much quicker.

Tell me this guys, how in the F do machine Guns work? I do not believe that an A1 barrel is anywhere near the quality of mine! ???
They get hot very quickly and when they do they lose their accuracy very quickly.

Machine gunning is about putting a large volume of fire in the area of a target with each burst, not precision shooting.

We also change their barrels regularly when they get hot, shooting a spare while the original(s) cool.

All I know is that I will shoot **** out of mine when I feel like it. LOL
No one says you can't but it's going to be a terrible waste of money and emotion if you burn it up after a few hundred shots.

You have a lot of time, money, and emotion invested in your rifle. Throwing it all away just doesn't make any sense.

No one says you can't but it's going to be a terrible waste of money and emotion if you burn it up after a few hundred shots.

You have a lot of time, money, and emotion invested in your rifle. Throwing it all away just doesn't make any sense.

Well I would have to agree with that, was just being a smartass! LOL. Fact is @ $5.00 a cartridge I will start sweating after 3 shots hehe, Donald Trump I am not! Besides I already know how it shoots.

One of my rifles I have been hunting with for years is a 30-06 that my father gave me that was handed down to him. I have killed everything I aimed at shoting Winchester Super X Power Points T $27.00 a box. / $1.35 per round.

Loved that gun and put a lot of rounds through it more then three at a time that's for sure, but that was before I started researching rifles. Still shoots great???

I usually bring 3 to 4 different rifles, shoot one, let cool while shooting another. And don't shoot the first one until it's the same temp as it was before the first shot.

lightbulbYep!lightbulb

I don't let my barrels hot, just warm; when I feel it is too warm. I let it cool for 15 minutes or so. I always bring another rifle(s) to shoot. :):Dgun)

I never allow my 300AX's barrel to get past warm. Usually a minimum of 3 minutes between shots. Then a 15 minute cool down between strings of 3.

I came across some sort of fan that inserts in to the mag well for ar-15's to cool the barrel. I might have to come up with something similar to it or just get it and see how it works for my 300 and other rifles.

I only shoot till they get warm on most of my guns then it's 10 minutes to cool. Now my pd/predator rifles get a little warm once in awhile.
223 ar 7-10 shots 10-15 min to cool
204 5-7 shots
22-250 ackley 3 shots
6.5x55, 270, 7x61 s&h, 260, ect. 1 shot cool for 3 min for 3 shots then 10-15 minutes to cool completely.

Pretty much the only thing I watch is BBL mirage.......If I can't see out of my scope, I can't shoot. AND...I use a 2" bbl mirage shade.

When I am working up loads I run at least three shots through the gun to get it warmed up before I ever go to target. If you are measuring groups you do not want your first shot to be out of a cold BBL. That was covered in Group shooting 101.

Tod

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.