How much time between shots when shooting for groups?

To see how a worked up load performs in a hunting scenario or checking zero, I shoot 3 shots back to back. Then let the barrel cool. I stand the gun up and let my hand tell me it is cool. I have not timed it but maybe 15 to 20 minutes.

I don't shoot competitions but if I did, I would shoot a string as long as I expect within the time limit. This would give a sample spread and map POI shift if any.

All,

when you are trying to see how a worked up load performs, whether it be 3, 5, or 10 shots, how much time are you taking between shots? Are you lifting your head off the stock? Or do you remain in position to try and keep things consistent such as head position and such?

To see how a worked up load performs in a hunting scenario or checking zero, I shoot 3 shots back to back. Then let the barrel cool. I stand the gun up and let my hand tell me it is cool. I have not timed it but maybe 15 to 20 minutes.

I don't shoot competitions but if I did, I would shoot a string as long as I expect within the time limit. This would give a sample spread and map POI shift if any.
When we shoot across the corse 200-300-600 and F-class I have had guys as soon as the target is up they shoot and that is about 15 seconds when practicing I normally take a couple minutes once that 1"dia barrel gets hot it takes a while to cool

Good point, barrel contour does matter. I know PRS shoots can have 12 or so rounds in 90 seconds but I have never been too or participated in any comps. Maybe I should have left that last statement out. Have to start somewhere.

The line between hunting and target shooting are starting to get blurry. I shoot slow as someone mentioned in earlier post, checking brass etc. I personally am looking for the cold bore shot, the first one counts the most. In Texas at this time of year if your gun is in the sun it is probably too hot to hold your hand on.

The line between hunting and target shooting are starting to get blurry. I shoot slow as someone mentioned in earlier post, checking brass etc. I personally am looking for the cold bore shot, the first one counts the most. In Texas at this time of year if your gun is in the sun it is probably too hot to hold your hand on.

Agree. I fully understand checking a handload for group size, for I was a short and long range BR/varmint shooter for many decades, and informally, still am. However for hunting, I prefer the cold bore shot placement scenario. Although when sighting and depending on barrel thickness and case capacity of the load, I may fire 3 rds per 5-6 minutes or no more than 5 in 10 minutes. Some thin barrels and magnum loads may see no more than 3 rds per 10 minutes.

This reminds me of a decades ago training I went through with a prior military sniper and with a focus on LR hunting/precision. I was instructed to awake each morning and take my rifle to the range, luckily I had one on the property, and with one round only, fire at the same target that was used the prior day. Doing this for a 5 day stretch gave the real hunting group size of the rifle/load, and it revealed my ability, or lack thereof, to stay precise during daily changing weather conditions. In addition to this practice, later, I was instructed to place my rifle in a water tight bag or case and leave it out overnight. This simulated the "cold soak" a rifle may go through when taken out of the house and placed in a cold, multi-hour fall/winter hunting condition. Some changed little, but some wood stocked rifles' POI's changed considerably.

Blaser used to have a neat gizmo on their sniper rifles. The bbls were heavily fluted and has a full length sunshade over them to prevent mirage in the line of sight.

"European police marksman rifles are usually equipped with a mirage band, and the Blaser LRS 2 is no exception. These accessories are probably are not mission essential in the vast majority of applications, but they do look really cool at the range (for whatever that's worth!)"

Image-26.jpg

All,

when you are trying to see how a worked up load performs, whether it be 3, 5, or 10 shots, how much time are you taking between shots? Are you lifting your head off the stock? Or do you remain in position to try and keep things consistent such as head position and such?
I only shoot threes....just me.....you have asked about the 600 yards in another post. What I would do if I were you.....Shoot 1....then get all comfy and on target and dry fire 1.....repeat to 3. Also for S--t and giggles have someone work your bolt and hand you the rifle....you won't know if it's loaded or unloaded....fire on target...have the person also watch only you.....only way to tell if you flinch! You will both know

I often do dry fire between my groups at LR as well. Dont know if it helps any or not, but it makes me concentrate on breathing and trigger control at the least, plus it's something to do while letting the barrel cool.

Have you guys watched a 600 or 1,000 yards BR match?

I was dumfounded at how quickly those fellows shot! As soon as they saw the conditions they wanted, they hammered out 5 rounds almost as quickly as they could work the bolt and trigger...
Those long-range BR guys amazed me - essentially it was rapid fire. Not quite, but close. And accurate as all get out.
Regards, Guy
Guys that can really run a string are using dual port actions or drop ports... Right eject, left load, with 5 rounds in a holder mounted to the front rest. They get a 5 min cool down between strings, plus a 2 minute sight-in period, and a nice 1.25" straight taper never gets too hot. My light Palma guns are another story, They heat up but also cool down faster.

Blaser used to have a neat gizmo on their sniper rifles. The bbls were heavily fluted and has a full length sunshade over them to prevent mirage in the line of sight.

"European police marksman rifles are usually equipped with a mirage band, and the Blaser LRS 2 is no exception. These accessories are probably are not mission essential in the vast majority of applications, but they do look really cool at the range (for whatever that's worth!)"

View attachment 202709

During the 80/90's, Champions Choice sold a very similar setup for us Nat'l Match and Palma boys/gals, but we made ours from black 2 inch elastic band with a small piece of paracord or light fixture chain sewn on the ends.

View attachment 202709
Now I know what to do with those old suspenders....

Every rifle is different for me. My Win M70 Featherweight I wait 5 minutes between shots, my 308 Rem Varmint BDL I don't wait ... eject, load and shoot. I let the rifle's purpose and barrel contour dictate how may rounds are in a group and how quickly I shoot them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.