how many rounds before shooting for groups

sambar1

i recently purchased a new howa 1500 in 7mm RM i did the whole cleaning job between each shot for first few and then every 3 for a while, after about 15 rounds i tryed to shoot a few groups which in the end didnt impress me much with the best 3 shot at about 1.5" its all bedded floated and all that so i dont need that recommended my Q is how many rounds should i rattle through it before i shoot for groups and expect to see accuracy? was i trying too early?

You may need to change ammo and try something different if you are not using hand loads. Factory ammo will change your consistency with each manufacturer. Usually 2 shots down the bore will foul it well enough to start shooting groups. Some guns just like to run dirty and others clean. You didn't mention trigger work, has that been done?

Tank

It should shoot right out of the box. I have never owned an accurate gun that didn't shoot well from the gitgo........... It might get slightly better though.

I broke-in my Howa 1500 as I Audette Ladder Tested.

Breaking-in the barrel doesn't make it more accurate; it causes the barrel to foul less, so you need not clean it as often to keep what accuracy you have.

Like liltank said, you're going to have to either develop a load or find the ammo that shoots well in that particular rifle.

OK so some more load develpoment is needed. the only thing I did notice that may have caused this that i sized all my new win brass and when i seated the projectiles it shaved a little bit off the side of proj there must have been a burr on the inside of the case neck would this make a huge difference to group size?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.