Just wondering how many know the difference between calibre and cartridge?

I have a 308 Creedmoor,,, non political correct works for me. Ha

That's not saying that I don't class it as a short case 30/06 either.

It really depends on what hat I'm wearing at the time. LOL

In military use, caliber refers to not only the bore diameter, but also the barrel length, expressed in bore diameters. Our battleships mount 16inch 50 caliber rifles, 16inch bore diameter, barrel 50x16" long.

In common usage (what you would call slang) someone asking the caliber of a gun is asking the chambering, not the bore size. Yes, it is imprecise, but it usually gets the message across.

Cartridge names reflect a wide varity of innaccuracy, when it comes to the number used for "caliber". Sometimes it is the nominal bore size, sometimes it is the exact bore size, sometimes its only close, and sometimes its not even close.

Makers name their cartridges to give a rough indication of bore size (usually, but there are exceptions), and some other distinguishing name, often, but not always the manufacturer that first put it on the market.

.223 Remington does not use .223" bullets. .222 Remington, .222 Rem Mag, and .22-250 Rem don't either. All use .224" diameter bullets. .240 Weatherby, .243 Winchester, .244/6mm Remington all use .243" bullets.
.380ACP, 9x19mm(9mm Luger) and many other 9mm rounds use .355" bullets. 9mm Makarov does not. It uses larger .362" bullets.

".38" caliber pistols mostly use .358" bullets.
US .30 caliber rifles use .308" bullets while many Eurpoean ".30s" use .311".

.38-40 WCF is actually a .40 caliber round.
.44SPL & .44 Magnum use .429" bullets.

It's like the English language, confusing to outsiders, but everything follows the rules, except for...the exceptions (and there are a lot of them!).

I understand what you are saying. Someone taught us all how to handle firearms long before there were classes. (Us Old guys) Hopefully they have friends that are helping them. I am ok with idiots getting guns as long as I can too.
I would never be for idiots having guns that is a fast way to advance the taking of all our guns, and that kind of talk from anyone is certainly sure to raise more than just a few brows !

30-30,308, 30-40 Craig, 30-06, 30 carbine, all of the 300 magnums, 378-30 are ALL 30 caliber rounds ! A 22 long rifle, 22-250, 220 swift, 22 hornet, 222 are all 22 caliber rounds ! Each are not their own caliber as many think! And many know that they aren't. But this is the answer we give when someone asks what caliber are you shooting? When the correct or better answer would be what round are you shooting or what is your gun chambered for ? The correct question to all would probably be what caliber and round are you shooting ? I don't see any big deal, most all experienced gun owners know the difference, but can see where a newcomer may need a little instructions, but no big deal as long as they know enough that they have to have the correct round for the firearm that they have ! Information with new guns have this, but buying a used gun there are not usually any instructions with them !

I would never be for idiots having guns that is a fast way to advance the taking of all our guns, and that kind of talk from anyone is certainly sure to raise more than just a few brows !
Are you saying you are for licensing gun owners and registering their weapons in order to keep idiots from owning them? This would be your solution to maintaining your right to bare arms? Who will be the idiot that decides which idiots are not allowed to own firearms?

I hope this clarifies my earlier statement.

Dangerous ground for sure. Often the things I see on the range makes me feel the same way as Buck Buster. But in the end the experienced shooters need to become teachers.
Also, as much fun as I have making fun of 6.5 Creedmoore fan boys I need to respect their enthusiasm for the shooting sports.

Cartridges are best identified buy their cartridge name for clarity.
Just as gunsmiths "have" to stamp the cartridge name and any changes to the cartridge on the barrel (Like AI or Neck diameter) to prevent someone from using the wrong cartridge.

The name of a cartridge does not always designate the bore diameter as stated many times and can be misleading. It is the responsibility of the owner to use ONLY the Ammo that is identified on the firearm.

There will always be some confusion because of the IDs don't reflect the actual bore diameter in many cartridges, but they should prevent the wrong cartridge from being fired in it if the owner knows what to use in the firearm.

It realy doesn't mater what he calls it as long as HE knows what ammo to use in it. Sometimes I have heard cartridges called by their nick name because the owner thinks It's cool, like quarter bore or CM For an example.

I tell people to only use ammo that has the EXACT same name that is on the barrel or frame of the firearm. I have even seen retailers sell people the wrong ammo for their weapon. and as Ron White (The comedian) says "You cant fix stupid".

Call them what you want to, but use the right one in the firearm.

J E CUSTOM

Are you saying you are for licensing gun owners and registering their weapons in order to keep idiots from owning them? This would be your solution to maintaining your right to bare arms? Who will be the idiot that decides which idiots are not allowed to own firearms?

I hope this clarifies my earlier statement.
I am just saying that I am against Idiots owning guns they are most likely to be the ones in "my opinion" that cause the rest of us to loose our rights if it ever happens from the illegal things that they might and have done with guns ! I am not for additional gun regulations !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.