Difference between the 6-284 and the 6.5-284

I stuck 56 grs. RL17 in my 6.5 Sherman the other day behind a 140 Berger (I shoot 56 H4350 just fine) The velocity was impressive but I can't use that case anymore! I guess that's why we always say to "work your way up":D. First impressions are, it may be more suited to the Short mag or at least lighter bullets.....Rich

Not to mess up the thread but i am playing with my new toy. 25 Bobcat ( 25 wsm ) off of the 270 wsm case. 10 twist 26" broughton #4 . With no data it has been a guessing game. I started with 7828 62- 66 grains and reloader 22 65-66 with a 100 grain sierra bt. Vel. im up to 3415 just loaded more of each powder 1 grain incriment up 3 grains hoping to shoot tomm. or sat. So far no pressure but i ran in to pressure with h-414. I heard everyone using re-17 for short mags but i didnt know the burning rate. Any thoughts on what im doing.
Mike

I dont consider myself an expert on powders (not by any means) but I think I have a fairly good idea what will work with the cartridges I load for and maybe a few others.

On thing I have said before on a couple of occasions, and I'm sticking to it so far, is that RL17 will always be the first powder on my to try list for any cartridge from the Dakota class on down to the 223, and that includes the belted mags from the 350 RM and down. It has impressed me that much. I have seen it water my eyes in both the WSM case and the .06 case (in the 25-06)

If I had a 25 WSM, I would sure try some 17. I would be guessing as much as you where to start, but something less than 60 gr should be a good starting point. Maybe 55. My max in the 25-06 which has a little less capacity than the WSM is 55.5 gr for the 110 and 115 Noslers. So "I would think" that 55 gr would be a very safe place to start if you're guessing. I would hope to get above 60 gr to get a good case capacity percentage.

I stuck 56 grs. RL17 in my 6.5 Sherman the other day behind a 140 Berger (I shoot 56 H4350 just fine) The velocity was impressive but I can't use that case anymore! I guess that's why we always say to "work your way up":D. First impressions are, it may be more suited to the Short mag or at least lighter bullets.....Rich

Yeah Rich, working up is always a good idea :) I'm surprised though that you over pressured with 56 grs in the Sherman case which has the same capacity as a WSM. It might be that the Sherman case id just a little too long and skinny for 17? Were your bullets seated to the lans? You might have experienced some bridging as well with that much empty case space?

One thing that I notice with RL17 is that it seems to be a finicky powder. It is consistent in the same load and rifle. But if you change rifles or bullets, etc., it's possible to see big differences. One example is in my 300 WSM (Sako 85 Finnlight). It will shoot 180 E-Tips @ 3190 fps with 67.5 gr, but it will only shoot 168 TTSX's @ 3150 fps with 65.5 gr of powder and that just does not seem right at all. Another LRH member was able to get 3350 fps with 69 gr of 17 pushing 168 TTSX's in a custom barreled Rem. A huge difference. I have seen/read other similar variations with other reports.

I will say i had pressure with H-414 at 61 grains. So i agree start with 55 grains of reloader 17 and work up.
mike

I was shooting 17 with my 300 WSM. I was getting up to and well over 3000fps with a 208 A-max. That was on a throat cut very long. Now with the normal throat I am using H4350. I haven't tried the 17 in the new barrel yet. Hard to say what it will do. But I do use 17 in my .308Win and getting 2550 to 2580 with 168 A-max out of an 18" barrel. Hain't to shabby if you ask me.

Tank

I dont consider myself an expert on powders (not by any means) but I think I have a fairly good idea what will work with the cartridges I load for and maybe a few others.

On thing I have said before on a couple of occasions, and I'm sticking to it so far, is that RL17 will always be the first powder on my to try list for any cartridge from the Dakota class on down to the 223, and that includes the belted mags from the 350 RM and down. It has impressed me that much. I have seen it water my eyes in both the WSM case and the .06 case (in the 25-06)

If I had a 25 WSM, I would sure try some 17. I would be guessing as much as you where to start, but something less than 60 gr should be a good starting point. Maybe 55. My max in the 25-06 which has a little less capacity than the WSM is 55.5 gr for the 110 and 115 Noslers. So "I would think" that 55 gr would be a very safe place to start if you're guessing. I would hope to get above 60 gr to get a good case capacity percentage.

Yeah Rich, working up is always a good idea :) I'm surprised though that you over pressured with 56 grs in the Sherman case which has the same capacity as a WSM. It might be that the Sherman case id just a little too long and skinny for 17? Were your bullets seated to the lans? You might have experienced some bridging as well with that much empty case space?

One thing that I notice with RL17 is that it seems to be a finicky powder. It is consistent in the same load and rifle. But if you change rifles or bullets, etc., it's possible to see big differences. One example is in my 300 WSM (Sako 85 Finnlight). It will shoot 180 E-Tips @ 3190 fps with 67.5 gr, but it will only shoot 168 TTSX's @ 3150 fps with 65.5 gr of powder and that just does not seem right at all. Another LRH member was able to get 3350 fps with 69 gr of 17 pushing 168 TTSX's in a custom barreled Rem. A huge difference. I have seen/read other similar variations with other reports.
The bullets were seated into the lands and it could be that the RL-17 builds pressure a little quicker? As to the vast difference in velocity between the E-tips and TTSX, that could very well be a difference in bullet construction (bore sealing). I've seen some pretty radical differences at times and neither of those are conventional bullets. I do plan on doing some more testing with RL-17, especially with my 300 Sherman, but this time I'll use a little more sane approach:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.