Just wondering how many know the difference between calibre and cartridge?

The part that doesn't make any sense to me is that if you are referring to the actual bullet/projectile as a "head," that would indicate to me that you are referring to a loaded cartridge as a "bullet." "Cartridges" are not "bullets" but a cartridge is made up of four main components, including the bullet, the other three components would be brass, powder, and primer. You don't load bullets into a firearm, you load cartridges. Just seems to me that one should be better educated on this if you are selling to others who may not be well educated. Just my .02.

I think there is more to the 'soapbox' aspect than meets the eye. Most on here, given that it is a site dedicated to the advanced shooting art of LR shooting, know what the difference is.

But some use the terms interchangeably, or just do so without thinking, even though they know the difference. To those folks the correction probably comes across in the same way as someone correcting grammar and they may not receive it well.

Then you have the folks that literally do not know the difference and need to be informed of the difference.

The difficult part is trying to figure out which camp someone is in. If you get it wrong, you are possibly going to **** someone off or miss a teaching oppty...not to mention that if you correct every instance of this you will eat up half your waking hours.

Bullet Head is a very common term in England for some reason. Here in NZ and in Australia we use projectiles just as you do in the USA.

Bullet head isn't unheard of in Canada, but its always either black-gun guys or someone who has at some time in their life said "shottie" who use it. Maybe heads naturally grow out of necks?

I've never met an American or Canadian that referred to bullets as projectiles unless he was talking to an Aussie. Never heard of a sleeve of primers or a packet of bullets (or projos) or a tube of powder outside of Australia, but nobody there ever blinked when I asked for a brick of primers which apparently holds 10 sleeves. I can however look the container primers come in and muse that it actually is more of a sleeve than a box.

These little differences in nomenclature make the world a richer place, and shooters will sort it out.

Thanks to Azrael I stand corrected! I don't know what made me think that North Americans called bullets projectiles.

Sure , there's nothing wrong with it. If the counter gun tried to pass him and arrow, or slingshot fodder it's because he's being a *****.

Personally I don't know anyone who is stupid enough to leave a gun store with a box of bullets if they went in for cartridges, or the other way around. If the counter guy was that stupid he'd still need some more info like brand, weight and type and the "problem" would sort itself out. The people that are bothered are the same types who have an aneurism when someone says clip instead of detachable box magazine. Never mind that there are manufacturers that do.

In Canada every single legal gun owner has at some point passed a written and practical test where they've demonstrated the ability to match a headstamp to firearm. Oddly nobody seems to struggle with it.

When I tell people that I am a bullet maker they almost always think we make ammo. I have to tell them that we make the bullet that goes into ammo. Often this is not enough and I have to explain that the bullet is the projectile that exits the barrel when the ammo is fired. The term "bullet" to most means "ammunition".

When it comes to caliber vs cartridge, I think it generally gets sorted out pretty well. Once in a while there is confusion. Often I talk to people who do not know that there are many 30cal chamberings that all can shoot the same bullet but can not shoot the same ammo. That turns into rocket science for some. :D I see lots of posts here asking for help picking a caliber for their new rifle. Generally I think they know what they are asking, but every now and then I wonder.

For the most part not too big a deal to me. Much bigger things to worry about.

Steve

When I tell people that I am a bullet maker they almost always think we make ammo. I have to tell them that we make the bullet that goes into ammo. Often this is not enough and I have to explain that the bullet is the projectile that exits the barrel when the ammo is fired. The term "bullet" to most means "ammunition".

When it comes to caliber vs cartridge, I think it generally gets sorted out pretty well. Once in a while there is confusion. Often I talk to people who do not know that there are many 30cal chamberings that all can shoot the same bullet but can not shoot the same ammo. That turns into rocket science for some. :D I see lots of posts here asking for help picking a caliber for their new rifle. Generally I think they know what they are asking, but every now and then I wonder.

For the most part not too big a deal to me. Much bigger things to worry about.

Steve

Maybe you need to tell them that you are a "Projectile fabricator" ;)
Steve.

Sorry, I couldn't resist a little humor .

J E CUSTOM

Just had someone say that the .38 spl ammo he had would fit in his revolver. So with eye browse raised lets take look. He had .38super ammo and surprise note wont fit. Told him .38spl quite a bit longer as well

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.