Difference between Lapua and Strelok app ?

Nuclear Worker

On my wife's 6BR when I input all the information for 600 yds. It comes up differently for each app? Lapua calls for 25.1 MOA or 201 clicks. Strelok calls for 21.2 MOA or 170 clicks. It is a 1/8 MOA click scope. I have gone through the information that I have provided for each app. Can't seem to find anything that is different? Any suggestions on what is going on?

Wow..that must be a really slow shooting rifle....my 65284 is on 10.25moa a 600....
Wow..that must be a really slow shooting rifle....my 65284 is on 10.25moa a 600....
'But...it's not rocket science'.....
Take it to a range..dial and shoot for each..see which app works correctly...
That's the fun of loading and shooting...
Discovery

My 6.5x284 is 9.5 at 600 yards. Her 6BR is running a short barrel. Hence the slow speed. Also factory ammunition.

Did you possibly input a different drag model (G1 vs G7)? Or even if you didn't purposely input that value, sometimes it auto-populates to one or the other.

At that range, and at those velocities it would seem plausible that the difference in BC would make that much difference. If you input the same BC value but in different drag models one bullet would be close to half as aerodynamic as the other in the calculation.

Suggest you put in a commerical off the shelf round like Hornaday 6mm ARC identical bullet weights in both calculators. See if the calculations are closer. If they are very similar you know your data of hand loads input differently. If the calculations are off set similarly to your 6BR, then you know that it's in your associated data, like wind?

Nuclear Worker:

Your math and Apps seem way off … in a fairly large way.

You did not post it, but I suspect your 6BR has an MV somewhere around 2,900 fps (depending on bullet, bullet weight, barrel length, charge, powder etc …..).

If so, and you are using a high end well designed high BC bullet, you should be seeing 600 yard come-ups around 11 MOA or so (based on a 100 yard zero).

I'd be happy to help …. But I suspect you're missing some critical data and/or have put it in the apps wrong. If you want and are able, Drop me a private PM sending me your email … and following that I'd want you to send me a snapshot of your data entry page for ISTRELOK along with all your rifle/bullet info (I suspect you are using hand-loads).Hopefully we will be able to fix it there.

I use both apps (Stelok more) and both are normally spot on. I suspect you either have your BC input incorrectly, MV off, or ….

Happy to help…. Drop me a line.

I shoot 6mm all the time out to 1,000 yards at matches and hold a national record so am pretty aware of what this cartridge can do, and what it's ballistics are doing …. And routinely use the APPS you are having issues with. Drop me a line…. Happy to help.