How many days do you hunt a year and what do you hunt mostly big gane wise ?

I use to hunt a lot of days, the only thing that changed is now I do my scouting more, and I usually tag out without always needing to spend a week in the field, per tag.

So, long story short, it depends. Could be 30 days a year, could be less. Depending on tags drawn, and how things go. This is for Muley's, cues, elk…every year. Sometimes pronghorn, or other species..aoudad whatever I can get that year. Still working on my grand slam. Yall know how drawing sheep tags be.

Last edited:
Last year between hunting, fishing, shooting, hiking etc I was out 67 times. My goal for this year is 100. Last year my better half drew a sheep tag after 19 years of applying (I'm on year 45 with no tag so far). Between scouting and hunting we put in 21 days. And yes she took a really grand old ram.

I have 8 grandkids, 5 that live in our town (yes, very lucky) and so I do a ton load with them. (their Dad took a powder and left many moons ago..........)

Feel very blessed to spend the time with them that I do. Tons of practice, games and traveling ball as well. Last summer my 2nd to youngest (6 then) I started her out fly fishing, she kicked it pretty darn good both wet and dry:)

Proud G-pappy here you could say

As a younger man, I would hunt well over 100 days per year. If the various large and medium game seasons were closed, I would hunt turkeys, hogs, small game, fowl, coyotes, crows, P-dogs, etc, etc. Heck, even snakes and snapping turtle infested ponds were not immune from 22's. If I counted all the afternoons after work, I guess the number of "days" would climb above 200 or more. It seems I always had a rifle or shotgun in my hands or a pistol on my side.

I loved those days living miles in the country and having my own shooting range a few feet from my shop. Coming in from work, grabbing a firearm or bow and taking long walks around the fields, woodlots, big timber, creeks, ponds, etc was very relaxing and often, helped place food on the family table. Back then and now, in that state, deer season for bow opened 1 October and in either bow, rifle or muzzle loader, ran until 31 January. Very generous limits in deer and small game could keep one hunting a long time.

Now as an old man and in another state, I feel lucky to hunt a few weeks out of the year, and even that depends on how my health is and what my daily pain levels are.
Understand, if I couldn't walk out my back door to hunt we would be in the same old age home!

Understand, if I couldn't walk out my back door to hunt we would be in the same old age home!
LOL.....I shot a few deer and yotes from my old front yard and across the neighbor's small bean field, and walked into the hilly woods about 50 yards from my back yard.

Years ago, I made a few trips to Anniston AL and Ft McClellan to pick up various items, mostly surplus ammo, from the DCM and for our shooting club.

LOL.....I shot a few deer and yotes from my old front yard and across the neighbor's small bean field, and walked into the hilly woods about 50 yards from my back yard.

Years ago, I made a few trips to Anniston AL and Ft McClellan to pick up various items, mostly surplus ammo, from the DCM and for our shooting club.
Yes sir... Shooting from you porch is a real blessing!

The Mt. Part of it is now Mountain long Leaf Pine National Wildlife Refuge. Main base is taken over by FEMA and industrial development. Big chunk of land that doesn't allow hunting. I just pick off the excess.

It was funny in Alaska friends always took guns when they drove to Fairbanks. THEY would get moose and bears grouse and rabbits .I always went on long road trips to scout and find new places to hunt .I wish I had killed the blonde grizzly that tried to kill my dogs. IT had killed all 16 of my neighbors sled dogs but they didn't tell me .I was building my house at the time and really had no place to put a bear hide I had gotten a awesome black bear at a friend's house that tried to get their kids .You never new what was next in Alaska lots of new adventures I gotta get back before i am too old to do them .

Before kids? I'd guess 3-4 days a week, bow through predators in the winter. With kids...a couple weekends and one going away trip. This year will probably be 15 days in the field total for me. Primarily white tail and black bear being on the east coast, trips for the western big game.

If all goes well, 1 or 2 days a year. If all doesn't go well add a couple days to that. We only have a 2 week season on deer here with an extra weekend, so you have to get out and work for the critters. I'm also rather locked into working during the week most years so I only get the weekend.

I hunt hogs most days of the week as the ungulate control coordinator for my job. When I'm not doing that I'm doing it for my own wildlife control business. I do a bunch of sheep n deer hunting on the other islands as well throughout the year as well as a international hunt thrown in for good measure. I just love to hunt and feel absolutely blessed to be able to do what I do for a living. I also guide deer and sheep when I can so I get out a lot.

If I'm not in the mountains hunting then I'm in our on the ocean hunting pelagic like marlin, tuna etc or free diving reef species of fish and octopus. So I hunt both land and sea gotta love it!! 🙏🙏

Got this boar yesterday with the dogs

Attachments

• 20240421_072831.jpg
    20240421_072831.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240421_075951.jpg
    20240421_075951.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 16