Strelok and applied ballistics

RemingtonShooter

Hi all

So trying to make a taper for a elk hunt next week.

Caliber is .277
Eldx 145 grain
.536 G1
2970 muzzle energy
Barrel 24 inch, 1/10 twist
1.5 scope height
Sight in elevation 2100ft
Hunting elevation 7500ft

They both return reasonably good results but are off .75moa at 200 and it grows from there. I know there is massive amount of other settings but they are both set up the same and are pretty different, especially beyond 400 yards. I have always used strelok and it has been good, but tried applied ballistics out of boredom. Big mistake. Any advice? Or suggestions? Pretty basic set up. AP has less drop than strelok btw…..if I can't figure it out then I'll average them. I like strelok because I can easily see the sight in elevation and the target elevation….maybe I don't know what I am doing?

Nick

I use the Shooter and Applied Ballistics apps. I don't have much experience with Strelok.

What are you using for a chronograph? I have had trouble in the past with light based chronographs being slightly off in their readings based on cloud cover and light conditions. I know the AB program has a velocity calibration feature which allows you to input your true drop you actually shot over several ranges and it will calibrate the muzzle velocity.

One thing I have found in the past with AB that has thrown my drops off is with the "pressure is absolute" check box. If you enter the pressure off a weather site, that has been corrected for sea level. That isn't the actual pressure where you would shoot. The app then corrects for the pressure based off the elevation entered. If you enter data from a Kestrel than you should check that box and it will know that is the actual conditions there, otherwise it tries correcting it from sea level.

The more accurate your inputs the more accurate the results should be. Since you mentioned both are off, I would look at the muzzle velocity and making sure the chronograph readings are accurate.