Just wondering how many know the difference between calibre and cartridge?

I have to ask you do understand the difference between caliber and cartridge right. In fact the 243 AI is a cartridge you can chamber your rifle to if you wish to do so. However a 243AI cartridge will not fit in your 243 Winchesterbut the opposite way will likeley work. There are a lot of more knowledgable people on here than me please listen to them before you get yourself hurt. By this I mean chambering the wrong cartridge into a rifle of a different chambering.

I do know the difference between all of them, very well. But I also know what people mean when they say the wrong thing, I don't need to jump on my soap box to correct them.

You may Understand Adamm32 buy many who make the posts or comments don't. That is why I started the thread to help clear it up for them. From some of the posts others made this is a wide spread mistake made by many. That in some cases could actually cause someone harm. AS KNOWLEDGABLE GUN OWNERS WE SHOULD HELP OTHERS IF WE CAN.

Well said

Ok well in that guess people should start correcting people on "break" vs "brake"..."clip" vs "magazine"..."can" vs "suppressor"..."brass" vs "shell" vs "casing"..."scope" vs "sight" vs "optic"..."engine" vs "motor"...etc etc etc...

If a person is too much of a ******* that he'll try to use a .300 winny in a .300 wsm and they guy at the store selling him the ammo is an even bigger ******* for selling it...then having them know the correct verbiage won't change the Darwin outcome.

Last edited:
On one end you have passion....
On the other you have fact!
Let the readers decide.
I get what people are trying to say when they misuse words, especially reading in context.
But the OP stated the true definition, and any civil mind can't argue with true definition, no matter how passionate they are.

......I don't need to jump on my soap box to correct them.....

I saw the original post as part question, How do we educate without jumping on the soapbox? How do we reduce the bad information floating around in cyberspace and elsewhere?

I had really decided to just move on from the thread, but bumped into the silliness that is the internet as soon as I made that decision.

Having seen none of the series "Shooter" before, the main character mocks a hunter carrying a .223, stating it won't kill anything but squirrels, and the owner has obviously been duped by Wal-Mart. Of course the hunters were portrayed in a bad light.

Trying to find the time, and place of teachable moments is tough.

HarperC I think we have such a time when ever we see a post by a confused individual on this forum. The word will spread and people will be educatated on gun language. What people read on here goes way beyond these pages in the long run.

Wild Bill G's original post has a lot of merit I feel. A newbie could easily ask for loading info for his 270, unless one of us more experienced gentleman ask exactly what cartridge he is loading it would be very easy to supply load info for a
270 WSM rather than a 270 Win. Let us all remember that we were all newbies once!
Huntsman 22 I am not sure whether your comment about calibre and caliber was tongue in cheek or not but I would point out that in most British Commonwealth countries your caliber is spelled or spelt calibre just as your color is spelled colour.

morning, do not let these kind of uneducated persons
on a shooting range!! this is a form of fun turned
genocide. fun turned in to scrap metal. justme gbot tum

Thank you HarperC but i fear I may have crossed the the snarky line in my last comment. I still want to help the guy understand there is a difference. If we have knowledge we should share it to help others at another point in time.

I don't think your post was "Snarky" at all.
Some of Us long time shooters/re loaders take it for granted that anyone that buys a firearm would/should know the difference because of the importance of getting it right.

Like you, I believe that we should try to help those that don't have the experience. Some will listen, and some wont but don't give up on those that will.

Unfortunately, With the internet some people become experts over night. and cant be helped. Its not your fault If they don't listen, Only if you don't make the effort to help.

What many don't understand is that we were born with two ears and one mouth and should listen twice as much as we talk. With over 55 years of shooting and loading, I learn something almost every day listening To all the different members on this site and remember some of the things that I take for granted that everyone should know.

keep'em coming.

J E CUSTOM

I like these type of discussions, as long as the purpose and intent is right. There is a difference in caliber (.308", .284", etc.) and cartridge (300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, etc.) it is a really good idea to help educate people and help others to understand the different terminology and specs for any type of firearm. I have seen people make huge mistakes and ruin rifles by running the wrong type of ammunition through them just because to projectile was the correct caliber.
The bigger issue with these kind of mistakes is SAFETY.
A firearm can be replaced (even customs that cost a lot). It may not be convenient and might even take a long time to save money to do so. But people, or body parts, can not be replaced.
Let's all remember that the purpose here is to educate and HELP others. Not to tear anyone down or come across as some superior mind. Help, educate, and befriend. We should all be on the same team here and should all be working towards making the shooting sports better. We want more people involved to keep our passions alive and progressing. Please take the time to help others when they need it. But, remember that we all had to start somewhere. Some of us have been shooting and reloading for a long time, others are just starting out where we were years ago. I had an incredible mentor years ago that helped me learn and always took time to explain things when i had questions. He made it a great learning experience for me and was a great influence on me when I was younger. I attribute his example and knowledge for instilling the passion for guns and shooting that I hold so close today.
HELP others by giving them good (SAFE) information, and having patience with them so that they have a good experience and want to continue in the pastime that we all enjoy so much.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts