Help the Marine Corps decide on a new caliber for their sniper rifles

338 allen magnum.

Nothing else compares.

32" barrel

McMillan stock.

Nightforce or Torus Vision scope

18 lbs.

Better than a 50 caliber and feels like a 30-06 with correct muzzlebrake.

Second best 300 RUM or 338 Edge.

All the suggestions seem to be for large, overbore magnums. I agree they have their place and are very useful for extreme range shots. But for every day sniper duty, isn't there a need for a lighter rifle, 12-15#? Something that doesn't deliver howitzer recoil? Something that fits in a short action so you don't have to break your cheek weld to cycle thew bolt? lastly, I don't know if price would be a consideration, but would the Marines really fork out the money to outfit every sniper with some of the super expensive rigs mentioned?

I say, buy the 338 Lapua's for special duties. But the every day Marine Sniper rifle should be a bolt action, short receiver, short barrel (22") in either 260 or 6.5x47 with 139-142gr. bullets. The ammo isn't too expensive or heavy. The rifle is easily carried in all situations. short enough to shoot from even cramped quarters inside a helicopter, Hum-V or small hide. Recoil is easily managed. Weapon could easily wear a suppressor. 7WSM, 284 and 6.5-284 won't fit long bullets in 2.85 COAL inside the magazine. 260 or 6.5x47 is the ticket.

I know nothing about military rifle life spans but how many rounds down the barrel do you think the average military sniper rifle being carried in the field. I would think a WSM would be a terrible cartridge in service life aspect especially if it is shot hot. I would go 6.5x47 or 260 then outfit special teams with 338 lapua. It would be more affordable.

.260 Rem.
Existing rifles will only require a new barrel. Probably wouldn't take much to re-tool manufacturing. Doesn't need a brake or super long barrel to be effective. Components are easily available. Standard diameter case means high mag capacity compared to the magnums. Easily outpaces .308 (10MOA better @ 1000). Outstanding barrel life. More energy than .308 down range. Soldier can carry more ammo than with the magnums. Still a practical cartridge for short range. Could be made to work in the AR-10 platform as well as the M1 platform with relative ease.

Big ballistic benefit with minimal cost to change.

The Case for .260 Remington: A Better Cartridge For Practical Long-Range Shooting

I'm a little late to the party but I vote for the .338 Lapua. It's what I'd go to if I could afford to reload for it. It does everything well.

Paul

338 allen magnum.

Nothing else compares.

32" barrel

McMillan stock.

Nightforce or Torus Vision scope

18 lbs.

Better than a 50 caliber and feels like a 30-06 with correct muzzlebrake.

Second best 300 RUM or 338 Edge.

The 338 AM is out of the question, if nothing else, because of barrel life. It's not uncommon for snipers and designated marksmen to put 1000 rounds down range in a month or two during training.

I bet the 338 can't stop an APC or tank, the 50 can.

Last edited:
6x47 lapua with 105 or 115 bergers exellent barrel life low recoil and good velocity.

6.5x47 lapua with 140 vld. I though thats what some have already went to.

The 338 AM is out of the question, if nothing else, because of barrel life. It's not uncommon for snipers and designated marksmen to put 1000 rounds down range in a month or two during training.

I'd expect barrel life to be relatively short too...any guess how many rounds?

Not even remotely close. the 50 will only penetrate the aluminum or similar light skin vehicles even with the Rufos round. New armor will stop all small arms fire and that certainly includes the 50 with all ammo. They were not and are not for armoured vehicles only light skinned vehicles.

Plus the fat lady has already sung on this thread. It will be a 338 Lapua based on the tests so far for both Army, USMC and SOCOM. Nothing else comes close for LR accuracy, barrel life and ammo availability.

They will still keep the 308, 300 Win Mag and now the 338 for standard forces. SOF will use all of the above and anything else.

BH

Plus the fat lady has already sung on this thread. It will be a 338 Lapua based on the tests so far for both Army, USMC and SOCOM. Nothing else comes close for LR accuracy, barrel life and ammo availability.

They will still keep the 308, 300 Win Mag and now the 338 for standard forces. SOF will use all of the above and anything else.

BH

BH, thanks for the update.

A 300 Ultra Mag should be just fine with a good match Berger bullet in the 180 to 190 range. I do not use a muzzle brake on my rifle, but a "Bump Buster" recoil system by Ken Rucker of San Antonio, Texas. It is a hyd. type system and a Kickezz recoil pad. You can shoot it all day long and it adds just a few ounces of weight. If you are interested in looking at it the website is "www.speedbumpstockworks.com", and you can decide for yourself. It does work.

TAWS

Last edited:
TAWS, thanks for the link, looks pretty neat. Sounds like your happy with yours.

i vote 20mm i mean if its good enough for south afrca its good enough for use oe the styr iws 2000 11" high at 1000 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.