Help the Marine Corps decide on a new caliber for their sniper rifles

FWIW you cannot go wrong with Tooley and the 338.

He has been building 338 wildcats since it came out and probably has build more than anyone else and there is a reason AI went to him for technical assistance on their sniper build with the 338.

BH

I know this is a REALLY OLD THREAD
but has anyone seen the Miller precision arms 300 winmag AR? According to the add copy its no heavier than a standard M110 but with twice the range.

As a participating member of NATO / STANAG it would is beneficial for all participants to be on the same page. Ultimately this is what politically gets the approval on government departmental procurement items.

With that in mind a 338 Lapua or 338 Norma would be my pick.

338 Norma.

There is a new machine gun in 338 Norma that has been adopted by U.S forces.
So a sniper rifle in 338 Norma would only make sense.

I think the big thing being overlooke here is the barrel life. Most marine snipers in training and even school trained snipers are not avid long range shooters. They think of it as a job and they don't look into it much beyond that. THAT being said a lot of range time is needed to make them proficient at longrange shooting. There is a lot of other skills needed to be practiced an range availability forces you to shoot all you can when you can. Usually there are 8 bolt guns in a sta platoon for 24 guys to get familiar with. So think about how many rounds would be put down those barrels at a given time. Also cleaning is one f those things that gets down at the end of the day or end of mission. Also long strings of fire. So take a cartridge that will last 1500 rounds usually and shoot like the marine corps shoots their bolt guns and you should have well under 1000 rounds of barrel life. Which is less than a years time. I completely agree something needs to be done about caliber. It is a real pain to hit what you want in a good wind at 1000 yards with a 308 compared to something else. but I don't think sone of these ultra mags or over bore cartridges would be logistically feesible. Even some of these countries that use the lapua also shoot 308 such as the Brits. Maybe keep the 308 mostly for training purposes but also incorporate a better longer range cartridge. Just putting in my .02 based off my experiences. Take it or leave it.

Arrow.

As a Ole Marine Jarhead myslef. Been shootin since I could hold a gun. But Knowing what is out there and what I would like to shoot at any Vermin.

338 Norma All around

375 Snipe-tac If u need to get that one Or a 375 Viersco VM 2

416 or Bigger If the **** hits the fan.

But still only as good as the person behind it.

Semper Fi

Jeff

You guys could kick this around for years....but in the final analysis it will be a decision by some 'jerk-off' General as to what gets adopted; someone that knows just as much about marksmanship and shooting as I know about brain surgery!! But it doesn't take a case the size of my thermos jug to get the job done!!

Shawn Carlock says, "If it seems like I am opinionated on this I am, I am tired of our guys being saddeled with equipment that just is not up to the task. If they need 1500+ yard capability I say we do what we can to give it to them."

Me too. The powers that be ought to consider what our guys give.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.