Help me decide what competition caliber

A lot of good 6mm's out there, just make sure to get a barrel with enough twist to support them. Be sure to look at the 6mm SST of elkaholics.

I have an attachment to the 6mm Remington, but concede supplies are sketchy.

Don't skip looking at a hot-rod .224 like a 22creedmoor or 22-250ai with a fast twist barrel. Sierra just came out with a 95gr match king that should be smoking hot in one of those cartridges. It has a g1bc of .600 which is better than most 6mm bullets and should be a bit faster with less recoil too.

Won't it exceed the velocity limits of PRS?

Dasher! I was in same boat for new fun rifle and figured why not use what a bunch of benchrest guys use? I have been busting rocks, rock chucks, and steel like crazy with 105 nosler rdf and 110 smk in my dasher.

If prs is in the equation I'd pass on the dasher. Due to feeding from a detachable box. If you don't compete that would be my second choice. I'd go 6.5 creed then 6creed or 6xc if prs is a real consideration. The 6x47 is another but locally not much support.
Pretty sure the 6Dasher is one of the most popular/successful cartridges in PRS.

I shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua in my F class rifle. If I was going to build a PRS rifle it would be the same caliber or a 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 Lapua would feed well and have no problem with the magazine in length. With both these calibers you should be able to spot your shoots. Good luck with your build.
Jason

I've been considering putting together a prs rifle too. My thoughts were to find a used rpr and screw on a 22-250ai barrel throated for the 95smk. I have quite a lot of 22-250 brass, if I didn't I'd go with a 22cm and build a load just under the velocity restriction.
If the competitions are mainly 1k stuff then go with a 6.5 or even 7mm of some variety. The 284win is popular in fclass.

I've been considering putting together a prs rifle too. My thoughts were to find a used rpr and screw on a 22-250ai barrel throated for the 95smk. I have quite a lot of 22-250 brass, if I didn't I'd go with a 22cm and build a load just under the velocity restriction.
If the competitions are mainly 1k stuff then go with a 6.5 or even 7mm of some variety. The 284win is popular in fclass.

Another good option based on the 22-250 case is the 6XC. Check it out. It is one of the top choices for PRS with excellent ballistics out to 1000+ Yards.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.