Help me decide on an elk rifle

For the Wifey.........

Attachments

• Compromise.jpg
    Compromise.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 102
Thanks for all of the information. I am more confused than ever, but in a good way! :) I have lots of choices and it will be fun deciding on a new gun just for the sake of buying a new gun. I have wanted to buy a long range rifle and this hunt gives me an excuse as long as I can find a duel purpose rifle and you gave me some good ideas.

If you don't have a magnum, I'd suggest picking one up. While there are many calibers that can get it done, you know a magnum will. The 300WM and 7mmRem are classic standards. Ammo is everywhere and components even more so.

I agree that a good 6.5 caliber would be a great medium range round, but if you bookend it with a great short (current .308) and long range (magnum), you have the middle covered until you build that mid-range rifle (if you choose to do a 3 rifle system).

Cheers,
Hawk

I DO believe you can be over-gunned. I mean, somebody actually made a post on here about hunting deer with a .50 BMG...Anybody remember that? How retarded can you possibly be??? You're not only making yourself look bad, but you're also hurting our cause as hunters, since a .50 BMG is NOT a hunting weapon

This is America...And we are Americans. We can have and own whatever we want to. Hunt with whatever you want.

What I read was:"This is America, hunt with whatever you want!
Unless its a fifty, then you're retarded!"
You're a funny guy...gave me a chuckle.

Last edited:
Maybe buying a 300wm in the same model as the OPs 308 would be a good idea. With the 2 calibers the OP would have the north American continent covered for everything from rats to big bears. Shoot the 308 for practice and economy and shoot the 300wm for everything else. I stated before that the 300wm was the best caliber I shot at elk, the rifle was not fun to shoot but I was confident with it. I would pick the 300wm if I could still shoot it.

Last edited:
Maybe buying a 300rm in the same model as the OPs 308 would be a good idea. With the 2 calibers the OP would have the north American continent covered for everything from rats to big bears. Shoot the 308 for practice and economy and shoot the 300rm for everything else. I stated before that the 300rm was the best caliber I shot at elk, the rifle was not fun to shoot but I was confident with it. I would pick the 300rm if I could still shoot it.
You talking about the .300 WinMag?

I agree with everyone on here so far as caliber is concerned.

I'm going to get punched in the face for this but I think the QC with Remington has gone right down the toilet in the last 20 years. I know there are always exceptions but I've had 3 straight rifles with chamber issues. If you're going custom the Rem action is awesome and I've always loved the trigger shoe on a Rem.

I'm still trying to get over the $2,400 on a rifle that you may not use very much but hey, it's all relative right! I haven't checked the prices but I've heard that Cooper rifles are fantastic!

I took my 308 on an elk hunt a few years back as well as black bear last year. It killed both game dead but honestly I left wanting more oomph for the next time. I moved to a 7rem mag but haven't tested it out yet.

I got suckered into this old thread. Sheesh

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.