Help me decide on a new rifle!

87 gr vmax or 95 gr Berger will have all the knockdown a coyote can stand and then some.

Was raised in MO and spent more than a few years hunting coyotes in the wind too ($50 pair of ears, that is how I got this handle). shot out a 6mm Rem barrel and never had a coyote walk away with the bullets we had then. Now they do not stand a chance.

Richard Franklin has built what I think is the ultimate big and LR varmint killing machine in his 300 WSM. 19 MOA to 1k is super flat and the 125 BTip at 4000 will absolutely melt any coyote. No need to skin them, they are already flipped inside out.

http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/favoritevarmintrifles.htm

BH

Last edited:
BH,

I misunderstood you about the 6mm's then, I thought you were talking about using them out there at 800-1000. The WSM 300 is an interesting option, and I may have to consider that more closely.

Thanks again to you and .30Hart!

I'll be talking with Bob Hart soon, and I'll look at Richard's site.

I should say that I am in the information stage right now. My last rifle purchase took me 18 months to gather info and process it before I made the decision to buy.

Bill

Bill

BWaites,

I am new to this long range hunting, however I was recently invited to join 30Hart and Bob Hart on a crop damage whitetail hunt in N.Y. state. I took my first whitetail over 300 yards with a .30 Hart. The gun was built by Bob Hart and is owned by Johnny Heath of 3-D archery fame. Johnny was kind enough to let me shoot his rifle and I was able to connect on a doe at 678 yards. One shot, one kill; not bad for my first ever shot over 400 yards at anything. Having watched Bob in his shop, I can tell you that there is alot of Heart put into each of his rifles. I look forward to owning a Hart rifle in the near future.

BTW I have a 300 WSM that Bob put a muzzlebrake on and it shoots like a dream. The one thing is, it's effective range is about 500 yards because it just can't produce the velocities and downrange energy with the big boys.

Mike

I am not sure of why you think that the WSM does not have a range past 500 yards. That is less than a 308 at 2600 fps. That is way off from reality.

I can run 210s at 2950-3050 fps out of my WSMs and so are other guys. The 300 Win mag can get 3150 absolute tops, the RUM 3250, the 30 Hart will run 180s to 3300 if you step on them. I am reloading the 30 Hart to 3200 right now with great LR accuracy.

we are taking deer here in VA with the 300 WSM at over 900 on crop permits routinely. They die just as fast with the WSM as any of the bigger cartridges.

BH

BH,

Thanks for the information on the WSM. I was going on information that had be conveyed to me by others. Thanks for the correction. I really like my WSM, it shoots great and is very accurrate.

What bullets and powder are you guys shooting in your WSMs? I shoot 165gr. Sierras with 57.5 grains of Varget and a 215 primer. The muzzle velocity is just under 3,000 fps but the groups are fantastic.

I am always looking to improve so your help is appreciated.

BTW, what part of Virginia are you in? I live about 145 miles south of Richmond, ~20 miles east of I-95

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.