Rifle Build - Help me decide

My opinion (it's not worth much)
I would buy something like a blueprinted PTG action
pick out a "remage" style barrel of your choice
From
There you can pick a stock and bottom metal of your choice. Trust me when I say this process of building a rifle can get way out of hand very quickly. I plannned a budget build and now I'm looking at about 3k in it. That's including everything optic and all. It is fun and before you finish your first one you will be planning your second.

If you are like myself and plan on more than one build I would spend the money on tools to put it all together yourself. No Smith needed.

For your budget I would order a blueprinted 700 action from NSS. The remage criterion barrel and nut. All under 900. Then all you need is stock and trigger. The PTG action would be next step up from there.

For your budget I would order a blueprinted 700 action from NSS. The remage criterion barrel and nut. All under 900. Then all you need is stock and trigger. The PTG action would be next step up from there.
I already have magnum go and no go gauges, and a wheeler barrel nut wrench for a Savage barrel nut. Would this work for a remage nut?

Also are there any other tools I need???

NSS's barrel nuts work with the Savage wrench so that answers my question.

Still deciding whether I'd rather buy the AWR for 715 from grab a gun and just shoot and upgrade it as I go or to go with a remage build...

Just buy the wrench that goes with whichever barrel nut you go with?

Yep, exactly my point ... as there are more after market choices these days, some of which requires a different wrench. Do you buy the nut with the wrench you already have or buy the nut (and the corresponding wrench to go with it) you really want? Having more choices is great. :D

Still deciding whether I'd rather buy the AWR for 715 from grab a gun and just shoot and upgrade it as I go or to go with a remage build...
I've handled an awr it's a nice hunting rifle, free floated barrel, stiff stock, tad heavy though. I'd buy the awr, replace the trigger get a muzzle brake if you want and you're within your budget

Just a thought, why not send the action to Hart barrels to have them true up the action and screw on one their tubes for 715.00 then bed it and go shoot?

Granted they may not have the IDEAL chamber design that you want BUT if a CA can sling the 215 with a SAAMI chamber, then why not?

The additional work from LRI is nice, but I would opt just for weld/time handle option.

JMHO

For $715, you got a great platform to build off of later, just incase it gives you issues. But like I said, Remington's 5R rifled barrels have quite the solid reputation for accuracy. I can't recall ever having heard of one of the 5R Milspec rifles that had accuracy issues.

But for $715, and say it does shoot lights-out with handloads, then you're WAY ahead of the game. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.