Help me decide on an elk rifle

Thanks for the responses so far. I have been doing some research and what about a 7mm SAUM?

I don't keep up with the short mags, but one of the 7's was having brass availability issues? Mighf have been the 7SAUM, but it could have been the 7WSM. I think it was the SAUM, because .300 WSM brass can easily be necked-down to 7WSM brass...

I may have them backwards though, but I hear alot of good things about the 7WSM, although I am not personally a fan of the shortmag calibers.

I've taken a few elk with 243s and my 25-06 at ranges out to 450 yards. All one shot kills because of one common denominator, placement. Every bullet has hit in the boilermaker and Every one was a one shot kill, no tracking involved. Like many have said before me, shot placement is what matters. Pick a rifle you have absolute confidence in. A bad shot with a 338 RUM or whatever overbore caliber you can think of is disaster on an elk. They are tough and you'll be tracking them a heck of a long way, and maybe you'll get lucky and find it, but probably not. My father has taken over 50 elk with a 243 and never lost one because he knows when he pulls that trigger, it'll hit where he's aiming.

Thanks for the responses so far. I have been doing some research and what about a 7mm SAUM?

Encore- the 7 saum was only made in senderos for a short time. hard to find one. the reason your guide told you 300 win mag is it is plenty enough for most all situations. coy says he shot some with 243 or 25-06. great . he lives in a state with a lot of elk. traveling to another state with its costs i would want something more. the 300 win mag is what Chris Kyle used to great affect. it is used a lot in 1000 yard matches. it is a forgiving round to load for- only easier cartirdges i have found the .222 and the 308. RMEF did a study- found most are kilt with a 7mm and second most with a 30-06 ; also most are harvested by residents. My 300's are uncommonly accurate.

Encore- the 7 saum was only made in senderos for a short time. hard to find one. the reason your guide told you 300 win mag is it is plenty enough for most all situations. coy says he shot some with 243 or 25-06. great . he lives in a state with a lot of elk. traveling to another state with its costs i would want something more. the 300 win mag is what Chris Kyle used to great affect. it is used a lot in 1000 yard matches. it is a forgiving round to load for- only easier cartirdges i have found the .222 and the 308. RMEF did a study- found most are kilt with a 7mm and second most with a 30-06 ; also most are harvested by residents. My 300's are uncommonly accurate.
If you find yourself in a hunting situation and cannot kill what you are after with one well placed shot from a 300wm you must be in Africa.

If you find yourself in a hunting situation and cannot kill what you are after with one well placed shot from a 300wm you must be in Africa.
Not necessarily true... :D

This is coming from one of THE authorities on rifle hunting alive today.

Anybody else remember the story of Roy Weatherby killing a charging Cape Buffalo in Africa with a .257 Wby Mag, just to prove it could do it?

In Praise Of The .257 Weatherby Magnum

A little more than 1/2-way down the page a guy killed a 600lb Burchels Zebra with a .257 Wby Mag...

Reloader's Nest Forum

The 7SAUM is a fantastic, efficient little cartridge (this if coming from a guy who is no 7mm advocate). The problems with the saum are:

1- As stated before, finding a factory rifle in 7SAUM is very difficult & customs are expensive & take a good while to build/deliver.
2- Brass: It has been quite hard to find, even more so with the 6.5saum developement. Norma seems to be making it by the truckload now & I believe there is some Nosler running around out there now.

You had asked about the 300WSM in a short action rifle. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the the 300wsm, nothing. On the other hand, it is hampered by the short action of the rifle. With long, heavy for caliber bullets you will have to single sling them. With practice, it's really no big deal. (I didn't believe this years ago).

All around, as stated before the 300wm just might be the way to go. Plenty of power, several accurate rifles available in this caliber & a ton of support from the ammo side. How can you go wrong?

I'd recommend either buying one with a brake or installing one after purchase then hit the range & practice, Practice, PRACTICE.

t

Encoreguy, I am a little late to the thread here, but I am surprised not one person has mentioned that the .308 you have will do just fine, even out to 500 yards. You definitely don't 'need' anything more than that. Not trying to talk you out of another rifle, but the only reason you would need more than a .308 is to shoot well past 500 yards.

Encoreguy, I am a little late to the thread here, but I am surprised not one person has mentioned that the .308 you have will do just fine, even out to 500 yards. You definitely don't 'need' anything more than that. Not trying to talk you out of another rifle, but the only reason you would need more than a .308 is to shoot well past 500 yards.
He's right...With a 24-26" heavy barrel, a Berger 210 VLD, backed by a stiff load of Varget, you should have no issues busting them at 600 yards.

"Need" is a relative term & usually not part of the equation (at least for me). The guy asked about buying a new rifle, that is why I personally did not bring up the already owned .308. I'm not flaming anyone here, just clarifying. Will the 308 kill an elk? yep, will a 300wm offer a more oomph? Yep; all day, every day.

Hey, who doesn't want a justification to buy a new rifle? :cool:

t

"Need" is a relative term & usually not part of the equation (at least for me). The guy asked about buying a new rifle, that is why I personally did not bring up the already owned .308. I'm not flaming anyone here, just clarifying. Will the 308 kill an elk? yep, will a 300wm offer a more oomph? Yep; all day, every day.

Hey, who doesn't want a justification to buy a new rifle? :cool:

t

Hahaha, I know. I felt like a bad guy by saying that, but it's true. The only thing he will gain with a 300wm is more range, and he said he won't be shooting past 500 yards. Personally, I can find a good way to spend that $2k if it is really burning a hole in your pocket :)

For me, personally (being a single man with no dependants), my justification is a fairly simple process...

It goes like this here:

"I want a _(insert caliber)_ rifle..."

And then I go buy (or build) a new rifle.

:D

Hahaha, I know. I felt like a bad guy by saying that, but it's true. The only thing he will gain with a 300wm is more range, and he said he won't be shooting past 500 yards. Personally, I can find a good way to spend that $2k if it is really burning a hole in your pocket :)
Like a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with a MOAR reticle...

:cool:

For me, personally (being a single man with no dependants), my justification is a fairly simple process...

It goes like this here:

"I want a _(insert caliber)_ rifle..."

And then I go buy (or build) a new rifle.

:D

You A@@hole!! Hahahaha :D

My process is "I want a (insert rifle)"

And then my wife says no....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.