Flattest shooting to 500 yds.

:)Daisy Red Rider with a 177 round ball. It is so fast that all game at 100 yds will run off. The ball sears the hole shut. It is even worse at 3000yds. I cant figure what load to work. 1 cock or 2 cocks? Can any one help?

Idaho,
Definitly a cock it twice situation......:D...****, you're starting to sound like me!...ROFL

Packrat

I played around with a 300 RUM and 150s. Got up to 3860 or so with a 27" barrel with under moa accuracy.

Still would like to see the OP to try some light bullets in his existing rig.

.338 RUM, 180 Accubond, 3550 fps. Roughly adjusted to 1250 elevation, zeroed at 200 yards is 28.4" low at 500 yards.

I can verify, it will work for 'chucks and antelope to 500 yards.

Some advantages to using lighter bullets in addition to the heavier BC loads in our long range rifles.

Question, which bullets hold together at 4000fps or higher. I thought they bust apart at some speed. Barrel Life?

This is what I've been thinking reading this thread. At the velocities people are posting many of the bullets mentioned simply won't cut it. If the OP is insistent on shooting so fast I'd stick with mono's like the Barnes bullets or similar. If you're only shooting 500 yards they don't necessarily have to be capable of one hole groups

The accubond can handle some incredible rpms. I owned two three groove rifles that eventually "ate" VLDs. The 7 Rem mag was switched to the 140 accubond and it held together. Same for a 1 in 10 257 weatherby but the twist/rpms with that barrel was far less.

30" 1 in 7 twist rem mag 140 accubond @ 3410 = 350,742 rpm

28" 257 Roy 1 in 10 110 accubond @ 3725 = 268,920

This is why I suggested to the OP that he try the 125 accubonds.

I'm sure rpm is a concern but I was more thinking of terminal performance when a deer walks out at 75 yards and you're launching a 130 gr bullet at 3600 ft/sec

could just get a 338 Lapua mag and neck down to 6.5mm, or better yet, get a 50bmg and neck to 30 or 6.5mm that would be flat... makes me wonder how flat. surly someone out there has a ballistic program that would tell you...

gun)

For those who don't know, here is an outstanding website (run by a member here)
concerning terminal ballistics. Gentleman from New Zealand.

www.ballisticstudies.com

Not sure if anyone actually has one still, but to my knowledge, the flattest and fastest caliber ever was the .22 Eargesplittinloudenboomer...

If someone actually has (or had) one, I would be very interested to hear about it.

I know alot of guys probably think this is a stupid question and I'm some Noob. I get it. I built what I thought was the rifle I needed for how I hunt, its a Custom 300Wby on a 700 action, throated for 208 Amax's which it pushes @3050 from a 28.5" barrel. Its a helluva gun, but it doesn't really fit how I hunt, now I understand that. I want a rifle under 10lb that points fast and hits hard and shoots as flat as possible within the realm where 90% of my shooting takes place, which is 250-500yds. I want to be able to use mil's and hold over within that range. I have good optics now and understand how to dial up and shoot at medium distances, beyond about 800 I play hell but thats my flaw, not my equipment's. I'm just trying to evolve and realize what is going to be most practical for me.
As for bullets I agree that the SMK isn't the best choice, I kind of wondered about the 130 Berger Match Classic Hunter.

Interesting, not many use the 300 Wea. as a long range rifle, but it is still a good choice.

I've shot a lot of rockchucks and a few deer and antelope with a 150BT out of a .308 Baer and a 30-8mm mag at 3550 to 3650fps. I have a 30-378 Weatherby Imp. that will shoot 150's over 4000fps. My 6.5-300wm will shoot 123 Amax's 3500fps and is pretty hard on chucks too. I also have a 30-338 Lapua Imp that is shooting 3330fps with 230 Bergers and I'm sure it would push 150's near or over 4000fps. A 300RUM with 150gr Barnes TSX, Nosler E-tip, or maybe a 150 Accubond at 3800+ with a long barrel would be hard to beat to 500yds for trajectory as well. With the E-tip at 3800fps it would be 2.4" high at 200yds, zeroed at 300yds, and 15.7" low at 500yds. You could dang near hold on hair of a deer the whole way. An elk would be easy to hold on hair.

I have read through all the replies and I think any suggestions I would have had have been covered.........with the exception of the eargensplittenloudenboomer which would be the winner, hands down. You may only get 200 rounds between barrel changes but you would be the fastest kind on the block.....or in the county.

Was it me I would work with what I have first. Try some 150 or even 140 grain barnes ttsx in that 300. If they will group decent you would get some impressive velocities. jm2c

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.