Flattest of the bunch....

DonBogaerts

Not long range at daytime but at night everything over 200m is quite a distance for hunting. The question... which 6.5 or larger with a minimum of 140 grain is the flattest shooter between 0 and 300 meters?

when shooting with thermal on wild board judging distance is not always easy. Asking this for my dad. He currently shoots a 7x64 brenneke. Cheers for the input.

Not long range at daytime but at night everything over 200m is quite a distance for hunting. The question... which 6.5 or larger with a minimum of 140 grain is the flattest shooter between 0 and 300 meters?

when shooting with thermal on wild board judging distance is not always easy. Asking this for my dad. He currently shoots a 7x64 brenneke. Cheers for the input.

At that range, tell your Dad, there is nothing wrong with what he's got. Load it with the right bullet for the intended purpose and he's golden. Shot placement is the key. I will be more concerned if your night vision equipment is capable at 300 meters.

I would say a 264wm loaded chalk full of Retumbo or RL26 pushing a 120ish grain hammer/PVA solid. Mv should be north of 3400 and zereoed @ 250y you shouldn't have to adjust hold out to 350y, unless you was shooting for the head at furthest range.

At that range, tell your Dad, there is nothing wrong with what he's got. Load it with the right bullet for the intended purpose and he's golden. Shot placement is the key. I will be more concerned if your night vision equipment is capable at 300 meters.
I understand your concern. He uses the latest of pulsar. Over 200 will not be the norm but the exception... he is out at least 2 nights a week and shoots most night hogs or fox... both are way too many overhere. I find the drop quite big after 250 meter with the 7x64...

I would say a 264wm loaded chalk full of Retumbo or RL26 pushing a 120ish grain hammer/PVA solid. Mv should be north of 3400 and zereoed @ 250y you shouldn't have to adjust hold out to 350y, unless you was shooting for the head at furthest range.
Like the sounds of this... we both tend to shoot for the front legs/neck...

I understand your concern. He uses the latest of pulsar. Over 200 will not be the norm but the exception... he is out at least 2 nights a week and shoots most night hogs or fox... both are way too many overhere. I find the drop quite big after 250 meter with the 7x64...

But what's the end result. If he's been successful that's all it matters. Know the dope at the intended range and have fun with it. I don't think the hogs will know how flat the trajectory is. Below is Ed (LRH Zen Archery) hog hunt and he's got quite a few videos on youtube ...

Be prepared to get inundated with recommendations, some of which might not be available where you at. 😇

"If" your Dad still requires a new firearm, perhaps it is best to list what factory rifle/chambering is available at your end. Or is he going to have it built? Cheers!

ADDED:

If you can get or build a .264 WM, as highdrum noted, it is an excellent option. I am currently building a .264 WM but still need a head-spacing and bedding job. It is specifically built to propel the 156 Berger VLD or the 160 Matrix VLD. X-caliber 26" 1:7" 5R barrel on a Savage 111F LA and Choate sniper stock.

.264 WM Savage 111F LA + Eliteiron.jpg

Ed

Last edited:
But what's the end result. If he's been successful that's all it matters. Know the dope at the intended range and have fun with it. I don't think the hogs will know how flat the trajectory is. Below is Ed (LRH Zen Archery) hog hunt and he's got quite a few videos on youtube ...

Be prepared to get inundated with recommendations, some of which might not be available where you at. 😇

"If" your Dad still requires a new firearm, perhaps it is best to list what factory rifle/chambering is available at your end. Or is he going to have it built? Cheers!

ADDED:

If you can get or build a .264 WM, as highdrum noted, it is an excellent option. I am currently building a .264 WM but still need a head-spacing and bedding job. It is specifically built to propel the 156 Berger VLD or the 160 Matrix VLD. X-caliber 26" 1:7" 5R barrel on a Savage 111F LA and Choate sniper stock.

View attachment 172796

Ed

That is a very cool project... maybe not for my dad but i do like a good project... i've seen this 300 weatherby for sale at a bargain that could change into the 264 wm if im correct. Really like the zen archery stuff very informal on night hunting... my dad just got his supressor permit and his current rifle has no threading so he was looking for a shorter threaded barrel/rifle Therefore the 7x64 might not be the best option...

That is a very cool project... maybe not for my dad but i do like a good project... i've seen this 300 weatherby for sale at a bargain that could change into the 264 wm if im correct. Really like the zen archery stuff very informal on night hunting... my dad just got his supressor permit and his current rifle has no threading so he was looking for a shorter threaded barrel/rifle Therefore the 7x64 might not be the best option...

So you want a short barrel .264 WM suppressed ... and yes you can. That's the beauty of my project, if I want, I can switch to a shorter barrel in no time.

6.5-300 Weatherby is the Best & Fastest, ammo has deopped to mid $40 foe real Weatherby 140s & I paid $459 OTD for an SI exclusivewith a fluted theaded barrel. I know it's made by Howa but have had great luck with Howa for years.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.