Flattest shooting to 500 yds.

Not sure if anyone actually has one still, but to my knowledge, the flattest and fastest caliber ever was the .22 Eargesplittinloudenboomer...

If someone actually has (or had) one, I would be very interested to hear about it.

I think Mr. Ackley made only one of those, and who kows what happened to that one. probaly one of his grandsons has it. or hr blew iy up on purpose like he did others...

I know alot of guys probably think this is a stupid question and I'm some Noob. I get it. I built what I thought was the rifle I needed for how I hunt, its a Custom 300Wby on a 700 action, throated for 208 Amax's which it pushes @3050 from a 28.5" barrel. Its a helluva gun, but it doesn't really fit how I hunt, now I understand that. I want a rifle under 10lb that points fast and hits hard and shoots as flat as possible within the realm where 90% of my shooting takes place, which is 250-500yds. I want to be able to use mil's and hold over within that range. I have good optics now and understand how to dial up and shoot at medium distances, beyond about 800 I play hell but thats my flaw, not my equipment's. I'm just trying to evolve and realize what is going to be most practical for me.
As for bullets I agree that the SMK isn't the best choice, I kind of wondered about the 130 Berger Match Classic Hunter.

Winchester made it and it is the .264 Win Mag for the Ultimate Deer & Antelope Rifle.
I'm running a .264 Win Mag shooting a 120gr Nosler BT and it's about all the recoil I care for and Nosler 120gr BT is a very good for Deer & Antelope. I have a 300 Mag & for Deer & Antelope it is just not needed & Dead is Dead & the 300 just makes bigger holes. I sight in for 300 yds and till it is beyond 375 it's just point and shoot gun no hold over or under. I had a 3.5x10 40mm CDS but I'm in the process of putting a 4.5x14 mm CDS on it but the way it is setup I'm good to 750 yds. I'm like you one practices for longer shots but most shots I get Mule Deer & Antelope are 200-300 yds longest being just over 500 yds. Our last Antelope trip to Montana 5 of us bagged 13 & average shot was in the 290-300 yds verified by range finder. Good Hunting

Personally having a 25-06 & the AI version, a .270 Win & A.M., .280, 7 Rem & STW, I would go with nothing lighter than a 150 gr in what you already have and look for accuracy. Even better would be the 165'ish weights, and either of those in something with controlled expansion.

I am in such a similar situation it isn't even funny. The worst that happens is you're geared up and ready for a 2 - 300yd shot and your deer walks out at 50.

Personally having a 25-06 & the AI version, a .270 Win & A.M., .280, 7 Rem & STW, I would go with nothing lighter than a 150 gr in what you already have and look for accuracy. Even better would be the 165'ish weights, and either of those in something with controlled expansion.

I am in such a similar situation it isn't even funny. The worst that happens is you're geared up and ready for a 2 - 300yd shot and your deer walks out at 50.

As many huge, unusual, and wildcat calibers as I have...This is why every year when I walk into the field to hunt whitetails, 9 out of 10 times, I am using a plain ole' 7mm RemMag, with Berger 168 VLD's. It just gets it done, and does work. Short or long range.

Granted, my load is pretty hot rodded with good components (no factory ammo for me), but there's nothing specialty or unusual about the caliber. But I continue to use it after all these years, because it drops them hard, and quickly. And if you shoot them in the lungs, it ruins no useable meat.

22-243 Ack with an 80gr VLD and a 25 yard zero drops 14" at 500. Zero's again at about 360 yards. Still has over 1100 ft lbs of energy at 500.

Why not a 270 Winchester something with 140 grain Accubonds, a Leupold CDS 4.5x14x40 w/ the side focus, use the range finder you already have, and be done with it.

You already have a missile Launcher, why not buy a deer rifle and be done with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.