What Is The Best Hunting Cartridge To 500 yds.

Hunting to 500 yards....more than a few cartridges could suffice. From 6.5mm/.260 to 7.62mm/.30 caliber (with .323 to .338 in magnums to cover the larger animals). What's the quarry? Say any North American game, minus big bears? Muzzle velocity of 2800+ fps. Choose your animal, choose your bullet weight. Depending on bullet choice, smaller calibers offer better SD at a given weight (and BC may be better as caliber increases). As an all-rounder, in my mind the winner is 30-06 for best combination of range, recoil, accuracy and efficiency, yrmv. Here are some possibilities with handloads.View attachment 157026
Wow you got the -06 loaded 200 FPS faster than any of my manuals, running 30 inch barrel???????????

Think the bottom line is something like a 25-06 or larger will work. I imagine even a 45/70 would do the job if one knows the exact range and is very proficient in the VOODOO they call doping the wind and the animal cooperates and continues to move at the same speed and direction or remains stationary for the time of flight starting with the brain saying squeeze until bullet impact. Having said that, use a round and rifle you like and are proficient with. The OP stated he had 4 or 5 calibers with 7 mm Rem Mag being the smallest. That would get the job done well as will anything more potent than the 25-06 and given the owning of the 7 MM Rem Mag I would tend to stay away from anything with more recoil than said 7mm RMag as the OP has that power range covered.

I know 500 isn't long-range for some of you but due to my ability, it's my self imposed a limit for shooting game.

The best combination of rifle portability, power, trajectory, reloading components and or ammo selection.
Based on your criteria overall , I still like 308 win. There are light weight rifles for the round and it produces very manageable recoil. The only reason ammo is difficult to find at times is that people shoot a lot of 308 and it's overall less expensive.
There are a lot of new options and they all are very effective. However, all things considered 308 is tough to beat. 30'06 would be my number 2 only second because of a slight edge is cost to shoot. Reloading components are attainable for both.
For 500 308 with modern bullets will do more than enough, especially for hunting and it will cost less to do it.

I think any decent quarter bore up to medium bore would work and it is more about what you shoot best. 270, 25-06, 6.5x55SE (of course everybody's sweetheart 6.5CM will shoot where a Swede can), 7x57, 280, 308 or 30-06.
Don't under estimate a 500 metre shot on game under field conditions, plenty of hunters are surprised at what has been a routine shot on the range just turned into a once in a lifetime opportunity missed in the field.

Last edited:
I know 500 isn't long-range for some of you but due to my ability, it's my self imposed a limit for shooting game.

The best combination of rifle portability, power, trajectory, reloading components and or ammo selection.
IMHO I would suggest that any rifle chambered for the Remington 7mm Magnum would be a great choice.
Realistically just about any caliber from .300 Winchester Mag, 30 - 06, .308, .284, & .270 would be sufficient.
The 6.5 Creedmoor would be a good choice for open area long shots but not so good in thick brush.
I truly believe would that any rifle chambered in thirty calibers would do all that you are asking, however, please do not rule out that 7mm Remington Magnum. I have used this caliber a lot and have had great success with it.
Good Luck!

Gotta be the classic .270 Win. Moderate recoil. Very flat shooting. Elk capable. Heavier bullets for higher BC & bigger game; lighter bullets for deer & varmints. Tons of affordable factory ammo. Chambered in just about any platform one could want (bolt, semi-auto, pump, lever, single shot.) Out to 500 yards, pretty perfect.
I love mine and would recommend it for this application as well

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts