Precision Shooting To 500 or so

With 500 yards as your limit for the time being, I would avoid the efficient 6mm's that most like for target shooting. Wind effects are pretty minimal at this distance, and if you're training, you'll want to get the most out of the distance you got. It may be counter-intuitive, but shooting a round that has little recoil and bucks wind easily won't teach you much.

A short barrel 308 would be a good choice since factory ammo is cheap and good, barrel life is great, and the lower velocities will help exaggerate wind conditions. Recoil on a 308 is about perfect in my mind since you still need to manage it, but it's not anything crazy. I've got a 20" AAC-SD that shoots 1/2 MOA groups with factory 175gr FGMM, and I run it out to 1,000 yards without problems. For 500 yards, you might consider the 16.5" barrel version.
I like what you just said... my 308 is a Ruger m77 Hawkeye compact.

I thought about the 6mm Creedmoor, but that rules out a factory Remington. If building something, then that just makes my gears start smoking lol 6.25 Creedmoor ? .338 Federal? .33 Creedmoor ?! .285 Creedmoor?! See how my indecisive mind works?

The Savage Desert Tactical can be had in 6mm CM, 26" 5R barrel. 1 in 7.5 twist.
You don't want a factory Remington anyway

The rifle I originally asked about was the SPS Tactical. I would rather have a Ruger, but I dont think they make the Hawkeye Tactical any more do they?

I setup the scope on a 20" SPS Tactical for a coworker, and it shot very very well. I chrono'd his ammo, made him a drop chart, and all. In hindsight, I think I under charged for that job lol

That 16.5" Remington is kind of sexy
Screenshot_20191115-184530_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191115-184503_Samsung Internet.jpg

If the slower .308 is good for learning to dope the wind, wouldn't the .300 Blackout be better? Of course the .308 is cheaper practice for sure!

If the slower .308 is good for learning to dope the wind, wouldn't the .300 Blackout be better? Of course the .308 is cheaper practice for sure!

I feel the SPS is a little too heavy for a short rifle but I'd provably get it in 223 as Dog Rocket mentioned, really cheap and good ammo. The 300 blackout is definitely not enough for 500 yds.

Just a quick note to jtw24 , thanks bud i have carried my 223 for as long as i can remember and wouldnt trade it for any truck guns ive ever used, they may run but not far.shoot well.

The rifle I originally asked about was the SPS Tactical. I would rather have a Ruger, but I dont think they make the Hawkeye Tactical any more do they?

I setup the scope on a 20" SPS Tactical for a coworker, and it shot very very well. I chrono'd his ammo, made him a drop chart, and all. In hindsight, I think I under charged for that job lol

That 16.5" Remington is kind of sexy
View attachment 158080

View attachment 158081
They've recently changed the ruger line ups... I'm an M77 guy. I just really like'em! As a little kid the first new rifle dad ever bought was a paddle stock 06... they've just kinda stuck with me ever since. it's killed a whole lot of critters. I shot my first elk with it and he's taken elk, deer, bear, a few house cats and yotes with it.

I don't know much about the Americans, but they did make a compact model with a threaded barrel. That might be something to consider as well.

They've recently changed the ruger line ups... I'm an M77 guy. I just really like'em! As a little kid the first new rifle dad ever bought was a paddle stock 06... they've just kinda stuck with me ever since. it's killed a whole lot of critters. I shot my first elk with it and he's taken elk, deer, bear, a few house cats and yotes with it.

I don't know much about the Americans, but they did make a compact model with a threaded barrel. That might be something to consider as well.

I love Rugers, especially the Boat Paddles.
I had these 4 at one time. 264 wm, 7rm, 300wm, and 338wm
PB_1573443685668.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.