Flattest of the bunch....

If you and your dad hunt hogs as it sounds like and from my experience hog hunting over the yrs I would be looking to balance barrel life. I went thru a 7RM that was a semi dedicated hog gun in just a few yrs.

There were plenty of nights we shot many hogs. Outside Pdog shoots I think it CAN be some of the highest volume rifle hunting in terms of shots fired. Not to mentioned a number of quick follow up shots when you get into a large sounder.

Would not want chamber up for a cartridge that best case is 500rd to rebarrel. That could easily work out to more than a barrel a yr for a number of guys I know that hog hunt regulalrly. I would stick to something like the 6.5SS or lower powder vol be it LA /SA.

If you and your dad hunt hogs as it sounds like and from my experience hog hunting over the yrs I would be looking to balance barrel life. I went thru a 7RM that was a semi dedicated hog gun in just a few yrs.

There were plenty of nights we shot many hogs. Outside Pdog shoots I think it CAN be some of the highest volume rifle hunting in terms of shots fired. Not to mentioned a number of quick follow up shots when you get into a large sounder.

Would not want chamber up for a cartridge that best case is 500rd to rebarrel. That could easily work out to more than a barrel a yr for a number of guys I know that hog hunt regulalrly. I would stick to something like the 6.5SS or lower powder vol be it LA /SA.
This type of hog control is indeed to expensive with barrel burners....

This type of hog control is indeed to expensive with barrel burners....

Once you figure out the best compromise on chambering, a muzzle device ready pre-fit barrel is available (not sure if it is exportable to you) for under $400.

Switchbarrel sounds good. How good does it keep zero?

"I" would have to re-zero since I would have a different load for it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.