7rm or 300rum

redds

What's your thoughts on caliber choice between the 7 Rem mag or 300 rum. i currently shoot the 7rm but going to purchase a new outfit ( fierce, cooper) I like the 7 but wondering if the step up to the 300rum is worth it

What's your thoughts on caliber choice between the 7 Rem mag or 300 rum. i currently shoot the 7rm but going to purchase a new outfit ( fierce, cooper) I like the 7 but wondering if the step up to the 300rum is worth it

It boils down to your personal preference and intended purpose. I would pick the 300 RUM (esp. when loaded with 230 Berger) over the 7 MM Rem Mag for "my" intended purpose. However, there's scarcity of brass. I originally was going to build a full custom .300 RUM but went with a .308 Cal wildcat instead.

Good luck!

I shoot a 7RM Sendero. I can kill anything I want to kill inside of 1000yards with this gun.

With that said, is there some items that might be "better killed" with a 300 RUM? Sure, probably.

I am with the other guys, do what gets your goat. I have found that once I think I have "all that I need" I come up with something else. Hence my desires to add a 6.5-284 to my collection somehow.

Thanks. I agree with the comments I've shot elk and deer out to 900 with my 7rm. I know shot placement and bullet choice is everything. The only reason for wanting the 300rum was to shoot the 200 grain + bullets for the extra knock down and velocity plus adding a new rifle in to the mix. I have friends that shoot the 338rum and 338 lapua as well.

I always say the same thing. Kinda want a big boomer just because. Then my Thrifty side chimes in from the other shoulder and tells me to get over it. Hahaha. Someday I am going to have a 300 win mag shooting 215's and it is going to be everything I dreamed it to be! Lol

FWIW, if I were going to go as far as a 300 RUM, I might consider the 338's more heavily. You never have too much power, right?

Why the 300wm over the 300rum? Some of my concerns with the 300 rum is brass is hard to find. And there has been lots of comments that the 300 win is about 150fps slower than the rum.

I apologize if I get windy here. We all have our own opinion but this is my evaluation I guess.

I have spent a lot of time taking velocities at my normal hunting conditions with different bullets and calibers out to 1000 yards.

The 7rm and 300 win mag have extremely similar ballistics with the energy factor going to the 300 win. The 300 RUM is a step up for sure, but doesn't give a real super large advantage in wind until you start getting out past 1000.

I don't hunt over 1000 yards at this point. The extra 20 something grains of powder, for myself, doesn't feel like would be worth it for the minimal gain in wind. And I already have the energy I need.

If I hunted in less favorable atmospheric conditions for long range shooting, the added RUM velocity would be a plus.

For me, the 215 Berger in the 300 win mag is a fantastic 1000 yard Hunter. You get the 30 cal hole and energy without the extreme recoil and brass cost.

My dream rifle is a 28" sendero contour 300 win mag with a Longrifles brake. But having a nicely upgraded 7RM Sendero that does everything I need to do, I haven't been able to bring myself to pony up to the 300 win mag.

These are only my thoughts. Some people like big stuff, some smaller, some faster, some slower. I think the key is to take your time setting up your rig and practice. Having a gun that can buck the wind is good, practice and being able to call the wind trumps every gun out there.

I see your point and it is a good one and agree. The .284 bullet is hard to beat I love my 7rm. I don't plan on taking shots on animals past 1000 that's a poke. My farthest shot has been just under 900 and it was perfect conditions I will always try to get as close as possible. Just looking for heavier bullet for more energy ( and a excuse for a new rifle). Im also considering to have a 7mm-300 build done to be able to get the velocity and energy with the 180 plus rounds but also don't want a 10lb rifle to pack. But note I have only owned factory rifles with some mods done to them and my current favorite is my tikka but it limits me on aol.

Last edited:
I have 3 Rum's and really enjoy them. My all time favorite "Do it All" rifle is the 7mm STW.

The higher BC's of the heavy for caliber .30's can really make you a big difference beyond 600yds and there's no denying that.

Everything associated with a 300 Rum costs you more and you pay for that extra performance with increased muzzle blast and recoil. If you aren't the least bit recoil sensitive it's not a big deal.

The other issue with the Rum is shortened barrel life compared to smaller cased .30's like the good ole .300wm.

Until you get beyond a thousand yards you really can't do anything with the Rum that you can't do just as well with the wm and the wm is cheaper and just more fun to shoot. I'm not at all recoil shy but if you want to enjoy a day of shooting, meaning 20, 30, 50 rounds the cumulative effect of the recoil adds up. You can ameliorate it's effects with a good brake/suppressor and recoil pad but it's still substantially more than the 300wm.

There are also a couple of other really neat 30's out there but as I frequently say, "The .300wm is never the wrong answer".

Agreed. I do believe the famous line on this sight and other is "you pay to play." You can have all the speed, energy, ballistics, that you could imagine in todays technology of rifles, equipment, and wildcats. It's all about how much you want to pay.

I am a big advocate of the 7-300win. Some 180's, or event he 195's, would be pretty impressive, somewhat cost efficient. That would also be on my short list of "guns I absolutely need to have." If that trips your trigger, and you are into it's ballistics, there is some good stuff out there too. Seems like when I was looking into it, the 28 Nosler did pretty good with the 195's, 7STW is always a good choice, and I can only imagine how sweet one 7mm Allen Magnums would be. Once again, how much you want to spend? lol

I too am a big STW fan but have never owned one. I am starting to think I am the guy always looking for the next best thing until he has it, and then just wants the next next best thing. hehehe

Good luck on your choices. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.