Christensen Ridgeline in 28 or 7RM

That depends entirely on the NUT behind the trigger.
I would say that's more of a limiting factor than most of the magnum cartridges today. Most any or all magnums (6.5mm and larger) can get the job done for elk-sized game to 1K if the shot placement is dead-on, and the person has the practice and skills to make that shot.

That depends entirely on the NUT behind the trigger.

There's a guy who's a member here who shot a full-grown monster moose at almost 1,000 yards (900-somthing) with a 7mm RemMag. He said it dropped it with no problem. So, yeah, I'd say the 7mmRM will have no problems killing an elk at 800 yards, as long you have the skills to shoot a live animal at that distance.

Oh yea, I agree! Does not matter how good the gun shoots if the trigger man can't do his part! And I know a lot of people that think they can go buy an expensive rifle and just walk out to the range and magically hit 1000. Lucky I have some really good friends that are big into long range shooting and have been taking me under there wing in training. The reason I said 800 is once I can constantly hit steel at 1000 then and only then would I attempt to shoot an animal at 800.

So my question is those of you who shoot the 28 Nosler and specifically those that have the Ridgeline in 28 how bad is the recoil? how are the CA brakes that come on there rifles?

I don't have a 28 Nosler, but i do have a Ridgeline in 300WM, and I also have an ER Shaw MK VII 300WM which outweighs the ridgline by almost 2 pounds with the scopes on the guns. The CA break is incredible, on the ER Shaw my shoulder would start to ache after 25 rounds of 200+ grain bullets, I can shoot the ridgline literlaly all day and have no issues. Really helps during load development. On a side note, I have been looking at the new Browning 28 Noslers with a 1-8" twist.

Ive got a ridgeline in 28 nosler, I don't use the break on mine but tried it once, it was very loud and didn't care for the break at all, I shoot 175 grain eld-x bullets out of mine and it shoots between half and 1/3 moa 3 shot groups. I find the recoil to be very similar to my 7mm Rem mag, and recoil feels to be significantly less then any 300 magnum. My vote would go to the 28 nosler and in second the 7mm Rem mag, No problem taking elk at 800 yards with either

My dad has one in 28 nosler, .5-.75 moa with 160 factory ammo. It's going to get beded then I will do load development with it and see what it can do. Like others have said lots of rifle for the money.
Duane

I would say that's more of a limiting factor than most of the magnum cartridges today. Most any or all magnums (6.5mm and larger) can get the job done for elk-sized game to 1K if the shot placement is dead-on, and the person has the practice and skills to make that shot.

The NUT behind the trigger is responsible on cartridge selection (among other things), not just pulling the trigger. It is not a limiting factor but rather decision-making factor, i.e., you prefer 7MM RM and my go to chambering is the .300 WM. We both know its limits but decided differently - we both decided based on personal preferences.

My 140 pound wife shoots my 28 Nosler with a APA little Bass$%@# brake without any issue. So I assume you would be fine with the recoil as well. Without a brake isn't too bad either, it feels like a 7mm mag to me. I shoot 180 hybrid bergers and I am just waiting on the 195s to show up in the mail box. My rifle weighs 9 pounds, hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.