Christensen Ridgeline in 28 or 7RM

Colin78

I've been a lurker on here for a while and had an account way back when but cant figure out what email it was tied to in order to reset the password so here I am with a new log in. Any way question for you fine folks.

I'm looking to pick up a Ridgeline and can't decide what caliber to choose. Looking at data on the 300wm, 7rm, and 28 Nosler and just using the data provided on the Hodgeden web page for velocities and using the Berger BC to compare. Looks like the 7rm and 300wm are neck and neck...300wm has a little more energy but the 7rm has a little more velocity when looking out at 700+ yards. The 28 has then both beat all the way around. So for not much difference between the 7 and 300 I'd lean towards the 7 due to much less recoil and less powder. But the 28 really looks good, however I don't like recoil. which I believe the 28 will have plenty of. So my question is those of you who shoot the 28 Nosler and specifically those that have the Ridgeline in 28 how bad is the recoil? how are the CA brakes that come on there rifles? This is the most expensive rifle I have bought and want to be able to shoot it regularly and it not just be a safe queen that only comes out for a hunt every once in a while. If the recoil is pretty substantial even with the brake I will probably just go with the 7 for the reduced recoil.

You are dead-on with your estimation of the 7RM vs. 300WM. They are ballistically identical with equal weight-for-caliber bullets. The .28 Nosler will be a bit more of a hotrod, and is ballistically equal to the 7mm STW. And yes, even with a brake on it, recoil will still be more than the other 2.

I have never shot a Ridgeline, so I don't know how effective the CA muzzle brakes are... But most good muzzle brakes should tame that .28 Nosler down to the recoil of .308 Win without a brake on it. I know both of my Browning A-Bolt II rifles came with the factory BOSS system on them (both 7mm RM) and they kicked about like a .260 Rem without a brake. I used to free-recoil those rifles and shoot cloverleaf groups one-handed at the range (other hand was blocking the sunlight) it was so manageable.

The 7mmRM is one of my favorite cartridges, so personally, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

My brother and I bought 3 ridgelines. Great bang for your buck. Some of my observations, the factory breaks are LOUD. We have a couple dozen different rigs with breaks. These are by far the the loudest I have shot. Also I don't care for how round the forend of the stocks are. For shooting off a flat surface, like a boxstand. That being said they are a lot of gun for the money. Shooting factory hornady precision hunter ammo. The 6.5 shoots great, 308 is about 1 moa, the 300WSM has been sent back the Christensen. I will say the break does a awesome job on felt recoil reduction. My 300 wsm is like shooting a 243. Hope this helps.

I used the Berger 210 vld on the 300 and 180 vld on both of the 7mm calibers. Took that bullet data and the MV data from Hodgden web page and entered that into the Nixon ballistic calculator for my comparisons.

I have owned the 7 rm Ridgeline and shot the 28. The 28 is nice to shoot with the brake. My 7rm was great and held 1/2 moa to 1000 yards with 162 eldx and great FPS with RL 26.
Both are great but I would choose the 7 rm just for the options of brass makers and the price of the brass.

I don't have any experience with a ridgeline but I have a fierce edge in 28 Nosler. It has a radial break and when shooting prone with a bi pod with factory 160 accubonds I can see the bullet impact my steel plate from 300-525 yards. I was concerned about the recoil as well but I am really impressed with this rifle. I would have to say the CA ridgeline would be comparable in the recoil department. I have to add I really like the 28 so far. Took 2 elk last fall with it.

Thanks for the replays so far!

Let me throw this out there too to get your imput. I would like to be able to take elk out to 800 yards. Think a 7rm has enough umph to ethically pull that off?

The .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards (my self-imposed limit at this time for the cartridge). The longest harvest for me thus far is 931 yards - MT bull elk with 190 Berger VLD. Load it with 215 Berger and you're golden.

Check out this thread for some real world experience >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/

Here is Jeff (BROZ), not a Ridgeline but a Mesa LR shooting the .300 WM to a mile.

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with brakes, but my 30 Nosler Ridgeline seems to have less felt recoil than my .308 Winchester. It does kick up quite a bit of dirt in prone position. It shoots pretty close to 1/2 MOA with Factory Nosler 210 Grain LR cartridges. The rifle is a pleasure to carry.

I don't believe I would get the 28 Nosler because of barrel life. 7mag is always a good choice. I'm loading up rounds, right now, for my son's new Ridgeline 280AI, I consider it to be a great do-everything cartridge. I'm using RL-26 and hope to close to 7mag velocities.

Be sure and get the side port brake vs the radial, which blows up a dust cloud from prone. The bottom metal on this rifle was defective, but CA sent me a label and I had it back, repaired in a week with new bottom metal. Good customer service.

Thanks for the replays so far!

Let me throw this out there too to get your imput. I would like to be able to take elk out to 800 yards. Think a 7rm has enough umph to ethically pull that off?
There's a guy who's a member here who shot a full-grown monster moose at almost 1,000 yards (900-somthing) with a 7mm RemMag. He said it dropped it with no problem. So, yeah, I'd say the 7mmRM will have no problems killing an elk at 800 yards, as long you have the skills to shoot a live animal at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.