Ridgeline 28 Nosler

I have killed or been with friends that have killed countless animals most did not take a step with Bergers. Will other bullets shoot well? Absolutely. Bergers are just more consistent. I do have to chuckle when people say they can't get X bullet to shoot, Bergers shoot well but I don't like them. I guess you guys have a choice to make. Hit your animal with known good performance and accuracy or chance missing from your "superior" bullet. The funny thing is most who denounce Bergers have never recovered their self proclaimed failed Berger. Someone has to keep those other companies in business so my Bergers don't get to expensive.

In the last 10 years Bergers have probably hamburgered more meat than all others combined. After my own past experience of what I consider poor performance, and other's similar experiences, I consider them a poor choice of hunting bullet. I know the theory behind their function and it has certainly impressed many, if you want to shoot target grenades, go right ahead. No doubting Berger accuracy, there are a few others out there to rival them and I won't shoot them at game either. I will probably continue to shoot some of the hundreds I have, but not at heavy game or in closer quarters situations. Keep being a Berger supporter (bet you have a 6.5 Creedmoor too?) and I will continue to use bullets with the terminal performance I desire, I have already eaten enough lead in my life to not want more.

I think the 180gr ELD-M Hornady bullets are awesome for the 28 Nosler.
Heavy enough to smack anything and great ballistic coefficient, but also fast enough (3200~ FPS) to make it extremely flat shooting.

In the last 10 years Bergers have probably hamburgered more meat than all others combined. After my own past experience of what I consider poor performance, and other's similar experiences, I consider them a poor choice of hunting bullet. I know the theory behind their function and it has certainly impressed many, if you want to shoot target grenades, go right ahead. No doubting Berger accuracy, there are a few others out there to rival them and I won't shoot them at game either. I will probably continue to shoot some of the hundreds I have, but not at heavy game or in closer quarters situations. Keep being a Berger supporter (bet you have a 6.5 Creedmoor too?) and I will continue to use bullets with the terminal performance I desire, I have already eaten enough lead in my life to not want more.

Nice jab! I have owned 2 6.5 Creedmoors. It is a great cartridge. Not sure where that belongs in this conversation? Maybe it made you feel better? I have used other bullets. They do not work as well as Berger. It is not about being a fan. I could not care less what the box says. I use what puts animals down as fast as possible. Unless I am going after the big 5 or maybe grizzlies I will continue to use Bergers or ELDMs. I am not opposed to ELDXs but the 143s and 175 just do not shoot as tight as other bullets. Good luck to the OP.

I know it's not a heavy, but I was very impressed with the Sierra 165 gamechanger out of my 28 Nosler on 3 different animals this year. I was running Federal 215 gm and Retumbo. I really hope they come out with a 180 grain gamechanger or at least a 175 grainer this year.

I have killed or been with friends that have killed countless animals most did not take a step with Bergers. Will other bullets shoot well? Absolutely. Bergers are just more consistent. I do have to chuckle when people say they can't get X bullet to shoot, Bergers shoot well but I don't like them. I guess you guys have a choice to make. Hit your animal with known good performance and accuracy or chance missing from your "superior" bullet. The funny thing is most who denounce Bergers have never recovered their self proclaimed failed Berger. Someone has to keep those other companies in business so my Bergers don't get to expensive.
I agree totally. Ive been involved in multiple kills me and others with bergers of different weights and calibers and all were DOA ( no failed bergers here )

I loaded up 160 accubonds with 81 grns rl25 and they shot stellar. 3.34 coal with cci 250s. Another option my 1:9 liked was 175 eld-x with 82 grns retumbo, 2.55 coal with cci 250s.

How do you like your 28?

Not to hijack but I am about to try my first Bergers. I got a new 338AX. Kirby came up with 2 loads. One is a 265 LRX and the other is the 300 Berger.

Im having a 28 built right now and have been doing some load work research as well. Brux #5, 1-8 twist, Mc3 Legend stock, jewel trigger, ptg bottom metal. I figured I'd start with RL33, and go from there. Grain quantities, seat depth, are all great info if anyone would care to share info, thanks, and good luck!

How do you like that Mc3 legend? I'm on the market and really eyeballing the carbon fiber option

In my 1:9 twist I was able to get 175 ABLRs with a decent amount of Retumbo to shoot, but the accuracy node was very narrow. Tried the ELDX and had the worst groups in every combination I tied, I could not get that bullet to shoot with 3 different powders, different primers, different seat depts; many others have had good luck with it though. 168 and 180 Berger's shot well, but I'm not a fan of Berger's. I tried h1000, 7828, Retumbo, and a few others. I settled on Retumbo, but want to try some R33 when I can find it.

What brand of rifle are you shooting?

I had a similar question and emailed Christensen Arms about their Summit Ti 28 Nosler... It has the same barrel twist as the ridgeline I believe: this was the response:

"Thank you for emailing Christensen Arms. The weight in the Summit (28 Nosler) with thumbhole is 6 lbs 7 ounces. With a 1-9 twist we recommend 140-160 grain bullets."

then I clarified:

"Do you have a faster barrel twist option? only being able to shoot 140-160gr bullets would preclude me from shooting a lot of the available match grade ammo on the market… Nosler doesnt even offer a 140gr that I am aware of, and starts their 28nosler bullets at 150gr… and they designed the bullet. Nosier's ABLR (long range hunting bullet) is a 175gr. Even the very popular ELD-X starts at 162gr, and most long range shooters are going for the 180 accubonds or 195 burgers."

Then I got this response in reply from CA:

"We primarily shoot the 160 Accubonds. We have never had good luck with ABLR in any of our rifles. We only have the option of 1-9 twist. If you handload you can get the Bergers to stabilize. The 180's …the 195s are tough."

Thank you for the information, I just put a ridgeline on order yesterday.

Finally got my 28 Nos Ridgeline all dialed in.

175 ELD-X had about a 1" group, couldn't get it to close in so I'm gunna keep tweaking it and try to improve.

175 ABLR May have been my most accurate load, I stacked two in the same hole but then sent a flyer that opened up the group to .758 Moa @ 3200 fps

180 VLD made a .253 moa group @ 3225

DM me if you want load data. These are 100 yard 3 shot groups. I have not verified out passed that yet, I'm going out in the morning to test out to 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.