28 Nosler

T-rev

Hello, I'm looking to get a rifle in 28 Nosler. Leaning towards the Browning Hells Canyon Speed or Christensen Arms Ridgeline. I want a factory rifle and will be shooting factory ammo. I want something that I can shoot long range with but am wondering if this is really the direction I should go. Would a 300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag be a better choice. I hunt mule deer in Montana in big wide open spaces where you can see a long long ways.
Thanks

Hello, I'm looking to get a rifle in 28 Nosler. Leaning towards the Browning Hells Canyon Speed or Christensen Arms Ridgeline. I want a factory rifle and will be shooting factory ammo. I want something that I can shoot long range with but am wondering if this is really the direction I should go. Would a 300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag be a better choice. I hunt mule deer in Montana in big wide open spaces where you can see a long long ways.
Thanks

Welcome to LRH and enjoy. I am from Montana and any of the chamberings you mentioned are excellent cartridges. However, it may boil down to personal preference and specific application. Having said that, despite all the chamberings I have in my inventory, the .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Load the .300 WM with 215 Berger and you're golden. While I do not have hands on experience shooting (other than handling, both feel nice but leans towards CA) the Browning HCS or CA Ridgeline, I know more people that are happier with their CA Ridgeline choice.

Good luck on your choice and happy safe shooting and hunting.

Ed

28 nosler Christensen for sure, nice light weight gun, the 28 is basicly a twin to the 7mm stw if that helps compare for you, the better twin imo, 195 gr 8 twist, seems like everyone is going to the 28 not that there is anything wrong with the 300 win or a 7mm rem mag, I love my 7mm rem mag but if I had to pick it would be the 28, it will drop any animal in North America, the only reason I would think about the other 2 is if your going to go to Africa or something a few times the 7mm rem and 300 win would be easier to find ammo over there, and i have a Christensen in a 26 nosler and it's a great gun and I use factory nosler ammo with it.

Last edited:
If only shooting factory ammo, go for the 300wm or 7mm mag. 28 Nosler factory ammo is very expensive, and the factory loaded ammo really doesn't even come close to maximizing the round's potential. If you reload, that's a different story.

Between 300wm and 7mm mag I would vote 300wm. Great round, massive factory ammo selection. I personally prefer it over the 7mm mag.

That is a good point, but it would depend on how many times you take it out and shoot it, if your only using a few rounds a year it isn't bad for what you get with nosler

Factory ammo only? Stick with a 300 WM or 7mm mag.
Reloading? Get the 28 Nosler
I will most likely just be shooting factory. I'll shoot the gun as much as possible so I'm comfortable with it but beyond that it realistically won't be out much besides for hunting season.

Thanks

Those are both great rifles. I would probably lean towards the ridgeline though. If you ever don't like something about it you can change it where as browning there isn't much choice. I currently have a 28 nosler being built but with that said I would probably go 300 or 7mm. Reason being that the only 28 nosler ammo I have seen was expensive and only made by nosler. Meaning you only get nosler bullets and I prefer to be able to shop around and see what my rifle likes best. I mainly shoot a 300 win now but I really like the 7mm so my opinion would be a 7mm Christensen arms and give the hornady 162 eldx and the HSM 168 vld anmo a go and use which ever one holds tighter groups.

I will most likely just be shooting factory. I'll shoot the gun as much as possible so I'm comfortable with it but beyond that it realistically won't be out much besides for hunting season.

"IF" you decide on .300 WM , factory ammo from ABM loaded with 215 or 230 Berger is your ticket. esp. if elk is also in the mix. Cheers!

300 win.

Factory ammo selection is truly tremendous, and it has no problems killing game at very long distances.

28 Nosler is cool though, but with factory ammo I don't see the point right now. A lot of extra expense for an extremely limited ammo selection.

For what it's worth I have shot a 300 win x bolt LR. Shot well, recoil was marginal. You don't have a bad choice in the bunch

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you only want to shoot factory ammo, you will have a MUCH larger selection with 300WM or 7RM. There is some truly excellent factory ammo available for these cartridges, such as the ABM 300WM loads that use the 215/230 Berger.

In my opinion, the advantage of the 28 Nosler is really going to be evident with the super heavy, high-BC bullets like the Berger 180/195, which to my knowledge are not available in factory loads. I'm sure a semi-custom ammo maker like Copper Creek will make you some, but that really limits your ammo options.

FWIW, I own a 7RM and a 28 Nosler, but I reload for both to maximize their strengths. If not for the heavy Bergers, I probably would not have acquired a 28.

Those 2 rifles are the same weight, the Browning is about $800 cheaper though, if that is a factor for you. That will buy a lot of ammo, or put towards a better optic.

My 300 Norma Improved will. Just saying =). But I agree the 300WM is incredibly versatile, especially if you have a factory ammo limitation. If you must shoot factory ammo, it would be my number one choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.