28 nosler, 300rum or 300prc ?

id look into the 300prc. I have a 300 rum and love to shoot 215s and 230s. my favorite powder for this is h50 bmg which will easily shoot both bullets 3000 fps with case capacity left over. (too bad powder going away). along with that, im single feeding. if I bring em any closer to the lands, I cant eject a round without removing bolt. if a factory prc doesn't have this problem due to the fact it is designed around modern long high bc bullets, it would have some advantages.

At the end of the day honestly if it's a magnum from 1954-2019 if you can shoot it accurately and it's consistent
I say flung what you brung

Don't tell the other calibers that are Magnum that I said this though

Any of the big 30's without a belt.
No need to handcuff yourself with old technology.
People seem to get ruffled up about the advantages of modern non belted cases over their beloved belted mags.
I'll never understand it..

This is a statement of ignorance almost always stated by people who have no or very little experience with belted magnums. There is no "handcuffs" while using a belted mag. If you know how to spec a chamber, properly size/headspace brass, and load for a belted mag you will never experience a case head separation or any other issues.

A belted mag will run higher speeds with the same weight bullet than a non-belted mag of similar capacity before experiencing signs of high pressure. I've had multiple 300 Win Mags that would push 180gr bullets at 3230-3250 fps in a 24" barrel. Multiple 6.5 Rem Mags that easily push 140gr bullets up over 3200 fps in a 26" barrel, 7mm Rem Mag that pushes 180gr bullet to 3100 fps in a 26" barrel, and 358 Norma Mag that pushed 225gr bullets at 3030 fps in a 26" barrel. All exhibited accuracy that would run with the best of any other cartridge out there. No excessive pressure signs on any of them and primer pockets stayed good for many firings.

Only real advantages of non-belted mag cases is you can usually find better quality brass such as Lapua, Peterson, or ADG.

This is a statement of ignorance almost always stated by people who have no or very little experience with belted magnums. There is no "handcuffs" while using a belted mag. If you know how to spec a chamber, properly size/headspace brass, and load for a belted mag you will never experience a case head separation or any other issues.

A belted mag will run higher speeds with the same weight bullet than a non-belted mag of similar capacity before experiencing signs of high pressure. I've had multiple 300 Win Mags that would push 180gr bullets at 3230-3250 fps in a 24" barrel. Multiple 6.5 Rem Mags that easily push 140gr bullets up over 3200 fps in a 26" barrel, 7mm Rem Mag that pushes 180gr bullet to 3100 fps in a 26" barrel, and 358 Norma Mag that pushed 225gr bullets at 3030 fps in a 26" barrel. All exhibited accuracy that would run with the best of any other cartridge out there. No excessive pressure signs on any of them and primer pockets stayed good for many firings.

Only real advantages of non-belted mag cases is you can usually find better quality brass such as Lapua, Peterson, or ADG.
Good for you Sir
I've had plenty of experience with 300 win mags and 7 RM's.
If it works for you great, but I appreciate advancements in case design.

Good for you Sir
I've had plenty of experience with 300 win mags and 7 RM's.
If it works for you great, but I appreciate advancements in case design.

It makes absolutely no sense when people call rimless case designs 'advancements' in technology.

The rimless magnum designs have been in use for over a century. The 404 Jeffrey case, parent to the RUMs, Dakotas, and Noslers, was invented back in 1905.

The 416 Rigby, parent to Lapua magnums and 300/338 Norma Magnum, was invented back in 1911. The 338 Lapua itself was designed back in the 1980's.

The 375 Ruger and Ruger Compact Magnum series of cases, parents to all the PRCs, were brought about over a decade ago in 2007.

P.O. Ackley was improving case shoulder angles and body taper way back in the 1960's.

So not a whole lot of 'advancements' going on today. Just people changing things around a little bit with existing designs and telling you it's an "advancement in technology" when it's really not.

300 rum all around. will feed from a mag box with 230 berger with no problems, will get you 3000 fps w/230 no problems, with powder that's easy on throats and easy to get, NOT RELOADER 26 LOL.... has a pretty dam good barrel life for the performance your getting, has the most brass manufacturers along with 300 WM, should I go on ha ha ha
the 300 PRC is a non belted 300 win mag! so no gain there and you have one manufacturer of brass and ammo.

300 rum all around. will feed from a mag box with 230 berger with no problems, will get you 3000 fps w/230 no problems, with powder that's easy on throats and easy to get, NOT RELOADER 26 LOL.... has a pretty dam good barrel life for the performance your getting, has the most brass manufacturers along with 300 WM, should I go on ha ha ha
the 300 PRC is a non belted 300 win mag! so no gain there and you have one manufacturer of brass and ammo.

Probably not a huge difference in performance between the 300 PRC and 300 WM if that is the intent of your comment, but theres is a lot of differences in the case design.

The entire body of the 300 PRC is wider with less body taper, the case length is shorter, and the 300 PRC still has about 5-6gr more case capacity than the 300 WM.

You can shoot a 230 in a RUM with a long mag if you dont mind seating bullet bearing surface area way down in the case through donut area of the neck shoulder junction. If the chamber is designed to keep the bearing surface of the Berger 230 in the neck, the loaded round would be way too long for any magazine. I personally will not build a custom rifle with a chamber designed where the bearing surface of the bullet I intend to use is seated below the donut when touching the lands.

My 300 Norma Mag Improved chamber is designed with .235" free bore to keep the bearing surface of the Berger 230 just above the neck/shoulder junction and my loaded round OAL is right around 3.68". And the 300 Norma case is only 2.5" long. Add another .350" for the RUM case to design the throat the same way for the Berger 230 and your loaded round OAL is over 4". Not gonna work in any magazine I know of.

Last edited:
It makes absolutely no sense when people call rimless case designs 'advancements' in technology.

So not a whole lot of 'advancements' going on today. Just people changing things around a little bit with existing designs and telling you it's an "advancement in technology" when it's really not.
I'm sorry where did I say "advancements in technology"??

Changing shoulder angle, reducing body taper, lengthening the neck, shortening oal for magazine cycling, saami throating for long range bullets, not headspacing off a belt...

These are all advancements (or should I say improvements) that the 300prc has over the 300 win.
I'm not implying any new technology, just smarter case design

Whatever...
Apparently you're itching for a fight

Probably not a huge difference in performance between the 300 PRC and 300 WM if that is the intent of your comment, but theres is a lot of differences in the case design.

The entire body of the 300 PRC is wider with less body taper, the case length is shorter, and the 300 PRC still has about 5-6gr more case capacity than the 300 WM.

You can shoot a 230 in a RUM with a long mag if you dont mind seating bullet bearing surface area way down in the case through donut area of the neck shoulder junction. If the chamber is designed to keep the bearing surface of the Berger 230 in the neck, the loaded round would be way too long for any magazine. I personally will not build a custom rifle with a chamber designed where the bearing surface of the bullet I intend to use is seated below the donut when touching the lands.

My 300 Norma Mag Improved chamber is designed with .235" free bore to keep the bearing surface of the Berger 230 just above the neck/shoulder junction and my loaded round OAL is right around 3.68". And the 300 Norma case is only 2.5" long. Add another .350" for the RUM case to design the throat the same way for the Berger 230 and your loaded round OAL is over 4". Not gonna work in any magazine I know of.

Didnt realize the OP wanted a wildcat fireforming mess?
Pretty sure his thread was between three rounds??? 300prc 28 nos and 300 RUM???
300WM vs 300 PRC case cap is like 2 or 3 gr. so there' s that ballistic twin minus a belt!

And your point on seating the bullet below the shoulder neck junction with 230 and 240 sierra in rum is mute as its been done for countless years with no hassle or troubles and is very very accurate.

Not trying to offend fellas. Just my opinion from being down these roads many times.

Belted mags work great when a person knows to headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt.

Having a chamber throated out for longer bullets can be done very easily by hand with a throating reamer. All you have to do is remove the bolt from the receiver. But you shouldn't have to do that if building a custom rifle. Just design or rent the proper reamer in the first place. OP isn't looking for a factory rifle here.

RUM would be even more accurate and consistent if throat was designed to seat the bullet properly. Unfortunately a person wanting to use that round in a repeater will never know the rounds true potential. Could do it on a single shot.

Last edited:
No offense taken here just pointing out that some of us on this site actually have some knowledge and have been down the roads probably more than others, and have actually had and shot the 300 rum to its fullest potential in as many configurations as it can be had in!!!
another point that the 300 rum even with 230 above neck shoulder junction has to have the bolt removed to get a round to eject while functioning through a mag box is also false! even the giant 30-378 WM can, will, and has been built functioning through a mag box while seating the bullet past shoulder neck junction and ejecting a live round without taking the bolt out!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.