280 ai or 28 nosler

brandon327

The situation is i have a gun at the gunsmith being finished up. The barrel is a mcgowan barrel with a brake that came pre chambered in 280 ai, which is what i thought i wanted when i started this project 3 or 4 years ago. Since i have started the 28 nosler has come out. The chambered intrigues me but I am not sure what i want to do. The main used of this gun will be a long range hunting rig ( deer, antelope, elk, and whatever else i may decided to hunt). The gunsmith says the barrel can be rechambered no problem at all. The cost is very minimal at this point. What would you do and why?

Either one will take care of your intended purpose of long range, big game, critter getter. The 28 just extends your long range potential a bit further out there...

On a side note... I can't believe you've been waiting for a rifle for 4 years! Good for you and exercising an unreal amount of patience!

Don't forget to post pics of the finished product =)

I haven't been waiting on the gunsmith. I just took him the gun yesterday. I have been collecting my parts for that long. I don't get in much of a hurry sometimes when it comes to spending money.

People say I have split personalities and I am about to display them.

280AI will run very close to the Nosler in speed depending on your definition of close AND your barrel. Could well be 100 FPS or 300 depending on the barrel so its kind of a crapshoot. The Nosler is over the efficiency level in 7mm, it will burn more powder (DUH) and will tear a throat up faster.

The Nosler WILL outrun the 280AI. At 387 yds it probably wont matter. Probably wont matter at 1200 either if you do your job, HOWEVER miss the range or air density by much and the Nosler may save your bacon. Same thing with wind, do your job and its the same....miss the wind call and the Nosler COULD save you. I am a big case kinda guy and that extra 1" CAN make a difference.

That's the ballistics part of it...now for the rest.

280AI brass is cheaper and made by more than 1 company. What do ya do if your rifle and Nosler brass don't get along? Cut off some RP? Good luck finding that. Nosler brass also you need to buy enough from 1 lot to kill your barrel as different lots will be weight sorted and likely very different in weight. 280 brass.....EVERYONE makes it or 06 even Lapua.

The recent issues with availability of the RUMs, SAUMs and WSSMs has made me look at brass availability in a lot different manner. I was shooting EVERYTHING based off of these cases. Now they are hard to find and PER SHOT more than Lapua AND less consistent. I have been cured of buying American made NICHE brass PERMANENTLY. Went to the 338 Lapua after 5+ Edge barrels and am going to replace my smaller stuff with stuff I can buy Lapua brass for. I loved working with the RUM, SAUM and WSSM when you could walk in and buy brass for $1 a pop and weight sort down to 40 out of 50. Nosler brass has been too soft FOR ME though others say its not. Of course I run it with a lot of Retumbo and 300gr SMKs so take that with a grain of salt.

Choose the 280AI and you will have a SAFE great performing rig out to 1500. By safe I mean less likely to have weird issues or component problems.
Choose the Nosler and it might save you on a LR shot where inches CAN count even when they shouldn't.

OR chamber for the 280AI AND if its not 100% everything you wanted.....rechamber to 28 Nosler. Can't go the other way.

I vote 280AI.

Also what is the twist and length? A 24" 28 Nosler with a 9.5 twist doesn't make a lot of sense. The length and twist will swing the decision a lot.

If you go 28 Nosler, witch is what I would do, have him camber it for the 175 grain Hornaday eldx at very least and preferable the 195 berger. The big pills with high BC are where its at with the 28 Nosler. This is assuming that you have at least a 1:9 twist (marginal) with a 8.5 or 8 being prefered on the berger, and 9.5 with 9 being preferable on the ELDX. This is assuming 2000ft of elevation according to bergers twist calculator.

I did a 280ai with a 1:8 twist. For big game hunting, I'd say you have good ballistics to about 800 yards (at least with the 168 grainers). I'm shooting the Barns LRX in 168 grains.

The 28 will give you more range (as others have stated). Also, if you want to push the 195 grain Bergers, the 280ai isn't going to have the horsepower.

It just depends on what you want. For me, 800 yards is "long range" for targets, and probably 600 yards for a hunting range. But that's just me...

rate of twist on your barrel and desired finish length?

1 is a magnum bolt head and the other is a standard bolt head, so you're looking at a new bolt if you jump to the 28 Nosler.

If you're hunting at 400-800 yds, and want to bang steel beyond, I say 280 AI

The barrel is a 1:9 twist of i remember correctly. The finish length of of the barrel is 26". The bolt head would all that would have to be changed since it is a savage. I would like to eventually get to that 1000 yard hunting mark.

The barrel is a 1:9 twist of i remember correctly. The finish length of of the barrel is 26". The bolt head would all that would have to be changed since it is a savage. I would like to eventually get to that 1000 yard hunting mark.
With a 9 twist I would further vote AI as the 195 Berger will be marginal in this may work, may not. The 175-180 stuff will run quite well with the AI. If you had a 8 twist and 30" tube it might be better suited to the Nosler.

Had the same problem you're having now when deciding on my custom. I purchased an M24 contour 9 twist 7mm krieger. I was initially intrigued by the 28 Nosler, but decided on a 280 Ackley Imp instead. Plan is to shoot the 175gn ELD-X.

I'm currently waiting on my rifle to be complete by my smith. Should be within the next week or two.

Just shot a .686 group at 100 off of a folding table and 5 gallon bucket for a seat.
7 SAUM 27" Mcgowen with 175ELD-X running 3050FPS. 1.5gr under book max of H-1000.
Pretty impressive....oh yeah it was a 15 shot group.:)
Kicks less than my Lapua and stays supersonic just as far.
The ELD-X is my new bullet.
Whichever you build I would at least try 1 box of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.