To AI the 280 or not

To AI the 280 Rem Ruger #1 or not?

• Total voters
I suggest making an appointment with a competent gunsmith so he can show you the work which is necessary and the cost to make your AI.

You don't just run an AI reamer into the chamber. The barrel has to be set back which entails moving those dimensions back. If you have features on the barrel such as front sights as an example, those will need to come to top dead center. Avail yourself of an appointment with a gunsmith who can show you and explain the work.

Enjoy the project!

:)

IMO it would depend on how far you want to shoot. There is no guarantee that the barrel will shoot as well once rechambered. I wanted a 1-8" twist to shoot the 180 ELDM in my 7mm RM. So I'm fairly biased on barrel twist. If you wanted to stick with your current bullet selection and wanted the added velocity I'd go for the 280 AI. Honestly if it were my rifle I'd leave it alone. Develop some good loads and have at it.

I suggest making an appointment with a competent gunsmith so he can show you the work which is necessary and the cost to make your AI.

You don't just run an AI reamer into the chamber. The barrel has to be set back which entails moving those dimensions back. If you have features on the barrel such as front sights as an example, those will need to come to top dead center. Avail yourself of an appointment with a gunsmith who can show you and explain the work.

Enjoy the project!

:)
Great advice.
Thx.

How much is 75fps worth to you? Ballistically there isn't much difference between the two

Load data is misleading, because the 280AI has a slightly different SAAMI spec than the .280 Rem.

Loaded to EQUAL PRESSURE, there isn't much difference.

If it's because you want to use Peterson brass, then have at it!

For something a little different, check out the 280 RCBS improved 30° 😉

If you plan to resell it dont, if you want it as your main hunting rifle Improve it. There are otherwise no downsides to Ackley Improving your chamber as you can still use standard ammo. The extra velocity potential can usually add another 100yds to your terminal velocity.