To AI or not to AI

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Lahunter76, May 26, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Lahunter76

Lahunter76 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

i am a novice in the world or reloading, just wanted to get that out there. I see alot of different AI rounds from 260, 25-06, 280 but I guess my question just sticking with the 280, what does a 280AI bring to table vs just getting a 7mm rem mag. I mean I get it, it’s not too hard to fire form the brass, but just asking if it’s worth that

2. Hespco

Hespco Well-Known Member

From chronographing I have done there is very little to be gained by going to AI. Usually well under 100fps. If you just like to tinker & spend more time reloading an AL rifle will for sure take more time & money forming brass.

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

It's all relative and boils down to personal choice. Only you can answer that, for us that have AIs, yes.

Varberger757, dmoon, RH300UM and 5 others like this.
  4. adk hunter

adk hunter Well-Known Member

It's all a chase. Some wonder why and I say give me more powder, efficiency, better bullets than circa 1980 131HH and shake a little fairy dust RL26 and what I have isn't just something that got AI'd years ago...Lob lead if y'all want I LOVE ACKLEY!!!

5. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

I like my improved cases. I usually don’t start my load work till after 100 rounds anyway so the barrel is broke in and I enjoy shooting. So I form my brass that way. I think it also depends on barrel length the more powder seems to like longer barrels. That does of course depend on the cartridge. I like them.

alcesgigas and Alibiiv like this.
  6. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

Nothing to be had with a 280ai vs a 7rm....
    Everyone says go heavy bullet for caliber....so why choose a 280ai over a 7rm.....the 280ai loses after 150gr bullets.....
    in my experience...but whats that worth..... .02...if I'm lucky....

MATADOR48 likes this.
  7. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

You don't have to fire form 280-AI brass, you can buy it.

A 280-AI has less powder capacity than a 7mm Rem Mag and will not deliver the velocity a 7 mag will deliver.

MATADOR48 and tbrice23 like this.
  8. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

What's your end goal? For a hunting round at practical distances you're not gaining enough to make it worth it to me.

When you modify and exiting round to a custom cartridge you're adding a lot of complexity and expense vs sticking with the factory original for what in reality is minimal gain.

Greyfox, MATADOR48 and 26Reload like this.
  9. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

Some cartridges seem to be more responsive to becoming an AI than others. In my case (no pun intended), you be “hard-pressed” to get close to the 3130 fps that I’m getting with 250 grain TTSX’s from a conventional.375 AI. I think that most people that convert a .257 Roberts to an AI are very pleased with the performance! memtb

Rafter o, MATADOR48 and stx like this.
  10. 6MM06AI

6MM06AI Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I love all of my Ackleys! 22-250, 6mm06, 260, 280. Just finished working up a load for my 280ai, 150 barnes, TTSx at 3120fps shooting .3 group, is a little hot and hard on brass but I can always buy more. LOL. And there is more than velocity to be gained from going AI. But everybody has to make their own choice! Enjoy!

11. Lahunter76

Lahunter76 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I do not plan on doing any AIs in my future. Just as a novice I just was wondering why so many ppl make an AI when there seem to be several cartridges that are similar or better. I get it if ppl want to tinker or if you have a big big boy round and made an AI out of the 375, etc lol but for me or most ppl a hunting round I will stick to my normal non AI rounds. If I had access to pre formed brass I would be very interested. Thanks for the information.

MATADOR48 likes this.
  12. hunter67wa

hunter67wa Well-Known Member

I AI my 223 as it is a high volume rifle and less trimming and a little gain in velocity. Its all about the trimming. I can go through about a barrel not every year but every two.

North Idaho Hunter likes this.
  13. ofbandg

ofbandg Well-Known Member

I have had a number of AI's over the years and all were a matter of trying to get more from an existing rifle. I had an 8x57 Mauser that became an 8-06 AI, a 280 that became a 7-06 AI, and a 308 that became a 30-06 AI. I still have the '06 AI because it truly is an improvement, but the others were less so although I hunted successfully with them for years. The 280 AI gave me approx. 70 fps increase over the original, the 8-06 AI about a 100 fps over the 8x57, and the '06 AI gives me about 150 fps but some of that has to do with superformance powder coming out. Generally speaking, I wouldn't do any of them again.

Varberger757 likes this.
  14. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

That's the beauty of having "personal" choice and preference.

alcesgigas likes this.