To AI or not to AI

Lahunter76

i am a novice in the world or reloading, just wanted to get that out there. I see alot of different AI rounds from 260, 25-06, 280 but I guess my question just sticking with the 280, what does a 280AI bring to table vs just getting a 7mm rem mag. I mean I get it, it's not too hard to fire form the brass, but just asking if it's worth that

From chronographing I have done there is very little to be gained by going to AI. Usually well under 100fps. If you just like to tinker & spend more time reloading an AL rifle will for sure take more time & money forming brass.

I like my improved cases. I usually don't start my load work till after 100 rounds anyway so the barrel is broke in and I enjoy shooting. So I form my brass that way. I think it also depends on barrel length the more powder seems to like longer barrels. That does of course depend on the cartridge. I like them.

Nothing to be had with a 280ai vs a 7rm....
Everyone says go heavy bullet for caliber....so why choose a 280ai over a 7rm.....the 280ai loses after 150gr bullets.....
in my experience...but whats that worth..... .02...if I'm lucky....

i am a novice in the world or reloading, just wanted to get that out there. I see alot of different AI rounds from 260, 25-06, 280 but I guess my question just sticking with the 280, what does a 280AI bring to table vs just getting a 7mm rem mag. I mean I get it, it's not too hard to fire form the brass, but just asking if it's worth that
You don't have to fire form 280-AI brass, you can buy it.

A 280-AI has less powder capacity than a 7mm Rem Mag and will not deliver the velocity a 7 mag will deliver.

What's your end goal? For a hunting round at practical distances you're not gaining enough to make it worth it to me.

When you modify and exiting round to a custom cartridge you're adding a lot of complexity and expense vs sticking with the factory original for what in reality is minimal gain.

Some cartridges seem to be more responsive to becoming an AI than others. In my case (no pun intended), you be "hard-pressed" to get close to the 3130 fps that I'm getting with 250 grain TTSX's from a conventional.375 AI. I think that most people that convert a .257 Roberts to an AI are very pleased with the performance! memtb

I love all of my Ackleys! 22-250, 6mm06, 260, 280. Just finished working up a load for my 280ai, 150 barnes, TTSx at 3120fps shooting .3 group, is a little hot and hard on brass but I can always buy more. LOL. And there is more than velocity to be gained from going AI. But everybody has to make their own choice! Enjoy!

I do not plan on doing any AIs in my future. Just as a novice I just was wondering why so many ppl make an AI when there seem to be several cartridges that are similar or better. I get it if ppl want to tinker or if you have a big big boy round and made an AI out of the 375, etc lol but for me or most ppl a hunting round I will stick to my normal non AI rounds. If I had access to pre formed brass I would be very interested. Thanks for the information.

I AI my 223 as it is a high volume rifle and less trimming and a little gain in velocity. Its all about the trimming. I can go through about a barrel not every year but every two.

I have had a number of AI's over the years and all were a matter of trying to get more from an existing rifle. I had an 8x57 Mauser that became an 8-06 AI, a 280 that became a 7-06 AI, and a 308 that became a 30-06 AI. I still have the '06 AI because it truly is an improvement, but the others were less so although I hunted successfully with them for years. The 280 AI gave me approx. 70 fps increase over the original, the 8-06 AI about a 100 fps over the 8x57, and the '06 AI gives me about 150 fps but some of that has to do with superformance powder coming out. Generally speaking, I wouldn't do any of them again.

I do not plan on doing any AIs in my future. Just as a novice I just was wondering why so many ppl make an AI when there seem to be several cartridges that are similar or better. I get it if ppl want to tinker or if you have a big big boy round and made an AI out of the 375, etc lol but for me or most ppl a hunting round I will stick to my normal non AI rounds. If I had access to pre formed brass I would be very interested. Thanks for the information.

That's the beauty of having "personal" choice and preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts