7mm SAUM or 280 AI

Well, the decision was made for me. I found a Model Seven Stainless in 7mm SAUM. It's not a custom rig, but I think it's gonna be what I was after.

Thanks for the advice.

.280 AI hands-down. It's an extraordinary caliber that has proven itself for decades upon decades, and just in the last few years has hit new strides thanks to the SAAMI standardization of the caliber, because of it's time-tested popularity.

I know you said not to factor-in component availability, but the fact that component PRICES are much cheaper for .270 Win/.280 Rem brass, that you can fireform vs. 7mm SAUM brass prices. That is something I would take into consideration.

If you compare Nosler .280 AI brass vs. Nosler 7SAUM brass, you get twice the cases (50) with the .280 AI for only $10 more than what it costs for 25 cases of 7mm SAUM.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 280 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag Box

Mud.....I hear what you are saying, but consider that the Norma saum brass in my 6.5 and 7 SS lasts twice as long as ANY 280 brass including Norma. The SAUM brass is simply much tougher. FACT Therefore, the price is actually less and you don't have to fuss around with it as often........Rich

Mud.....I hear what you are saying, but consider that the Norma saum brass in my 6.5 and 7 SS lasts twice as long as ANY 280 brass including Norma. The SAUM brass is simply much tougher. FACT Therefore, the price is actually less and you don't have to fuss around with it as often........Rich

Rich, I trust your judgement, as I have neither caliber to compare longevity to each other.

I am still planning on building a 7mmSS sometime in 2016. :D

Rich, I trust your judgement, as I have neither caliber to compare longevity to each other.

I am still planning on building a 7mmSS sometime in 2016. :D

Let me know. If I can get my pics to post, I will put up a pic of a doe I shot at 854 yards with the 7ss. Center punched her shoulder with a 180vld and dropped her like a rock....rich

Let me know. If I can get my pics to post, I will put up a pic of a doe I shot at 854 yards with the 7ss. Center punched her shoulder with a 180vld and dropped her like a rock....rich

Very nice! I probably have 500 unopened 180 VLD's sitting around, since I found such an awesome load in my STW with the 180 Hybrids... Wouldn't mind having an excuse to use them. :D

I have heard of some folks claiming to get better velocity with the Hybrid bullets over the VLD's, even in the same weight class... Have you noticed any higher velocities with the 180 Hybrids? Also, what velocities have you seen with 180 Hybrids and 168 VLD's? What all powders have you tried? 7828 SSC? 7977? H1000? I've got like 4 lbs of H1000 collecting dust...

7977 should be right on-par with RL26, and 7828 SSC is right next to RL25 on the burn chart. So, I might be able to interchange some load data...

Very nice! I probably have 500 unopened 180 VLD's sitting around, since I found such an awesome load in my STW with the 180 Hybrids... Wouldn't mind having an excuse to use them. :D

I have heard of some folks claiming to get better velocity with the Hybrid bullets over the VLD's, even in the same weight class... Have you noticed any higher velocities with the 180 Hybrids? Also, what velocities have you seen with 180 Hybrids and 168 VLD's? What all powders have you tried? 7828 SSC? 7977? H1000? I've got like 4 lbs of H1000 collecting dust...

7977 should be right on-par with RL26, and 7828 SSC is right next to RL25 on the burn chart. So, I might be able to interchange some load data...

pm me so we don't hijack this thread

Is there any accuracy difference between the two?

any felt recoil difference?

considering I don't shoot over book max loads, is a short action and coal limit on the SAUM an issue to even consider? may never shoot 180s, and definitely never pushing max pressure. Likely an Origin or SR3 action.

Hunting rig. weight is my reason for the 7 SAUM, would need to be a SA, otherwise i'd go with the 280 AI if the short action is a real issue. Only downside I see is less mag capacity, that I can live with.

I want the 7 SAUM but probably too conservative to "pull the trigger" anyways, maybe. Just built a 280 AI but gave it to my dad before ever firing it, need one myself or a lighter version.

Is there any accuracy difference between the two?

considering I don't shoot over book max loads, is a short action and coal limit on the SAUM an issue to even consider? may never shoot 180s, and definitely never pushing max pressure. Likely an Origin or SR3 action.

Hunting rig. weight is my reason for the 7 SAUM, would need to be a SA, otherwise i'd go with the 280 AI if the short action is a real issue. Only downside I see is less mag capacity, that I can live with.

I want the 7 SAUM but probably too conservative to "pull the trigger" anyways, maybe. Just built a 280 AI but gave it to my dad before ever firing it, need one myself or a lighter version.
The saum may give the velocity you want in a short action but it will also give you a doughnut in your case neck and is leaving performance on the table by not utilizing the case capacity.
A doughnut will affect accuracy!

The saum may give the velocity you want in a short action but it will also give you a doughnut in your case neck and is leaving performance on the table by not utilizing the case capacity.
A doughnut will affect accuracy!

what's a doughnut? That's a new one for me. And why does a 7 SAUM give one?

They are ballistic twins, I prefer the 280AI but probably because I've built about 8 of them and have had incredible success with this cartridge, in saying that the 7 SAUM is a great cartridge also, I'm just not a fan of the short fat WSM cartridges.

what's a doughnut? That's a new one for me. And why does a 7 SAUM give one?
A doughnut is a brass build up at the inside base of the neck which narrows the I.D. and can affect accuracy and even pressure.
It is usually caused by the body of the bullet extending below the neck.
When it occurs, you have to mandrel it out and/or turn or ream the neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts