To AI the 280 or not

To AI the 280 Rem Ruger #1 or not?

• Total voters

Round2it

I have acquired a Ruger #1B in 280 remington. Giver that is has the 26" barrel and usually shoots the 160 grain class bullets sub MOA - I was thinking about turning it into an AI so I could use it as my primary hunting rig. Now there's nothing the matter with the 280 Remington but why not AI? What's not to like? Shoot factory 280 rem or AI. If it's done right I'll gain versatility, 100 to 150 fps which may just be enough to send the 175/180's down range with enough authority to just about peg the ol' fun meter and breathe new life into the old girl!
Pipe dream?
Am I missing something?

I have acquired a Ruger #1B in 280 remington. Giver that is has the 26" barrel and usually shoots the 160 grain class bullets sub MOA - I was thinking about turning it into an AI so I could use it as my primary hunting rig. Now there's nothing the matter with the 280 Remington but why not AI? What's not to like? Shoot factory 280 rem or AI. If it's done right I'll gain versatility, 100 to 150 fps which may just be enough to send the 175/180's down range with enough authority to just about peg the ol' fun meter and breathe new life into the old girl!
Pipe dream?
Am I missing something?
Only you can make that call. In 2012, I was initially going to build .280 AI, but everybody in their brother has one, so I went with .270 AI instead and never looked back. Build what you want/need, not what others think. Does your barrel have the minimum twist rate for the bullet you will shoot? Good luck!

Only you can make that call. In 2012, I was initially going to build .280 AI, but everybody in their brother has one, so I went with .270 AI instead and never looked back. Build what you want/need, not what others think. Does your barrel have the minimum twist rate for the bullet you will shoot? Good luck!
The 9 twist will spin the 180's just fine. The 175's I'm not due about.

I have a 7 mag, 270 win ans 30-06.
I am always hesitant to change a factory gun if collectible at all. I have a Sendero that I would like a lot more if threaded, but I can't bring myself to do it. I figure I can just keep my eyes open for a bargain, and get one at a heavily discounted price from someone who has done it.

Is the barrel shot out? If not, I would go with #3 until it is ready for a re-barrel. But as I noted, the choice is yours to make. Good luck!
Understand about the #3 and would agree. This has be barely shot enough to be broken in.

I am always hesitant to change a factory gun if collectible at all. I have a Sendero that I would like a lot more if threaded, but I can't bring myself to do it. I figure I can just keep my eyes open for a bargain, and get one at a heavily discounted price from someone who has done it.
I'm in the midst of downsizing. I'm only going to keep 2 hunting rigs.

Recent Posts