28 nosler, 300rum or 300prc ?

It's funny you say that I have a buddy who had a long throat in 28 nosler x caliber barrel that was zapped 400 rounds
Very common problem, one of the guys I work with used to work @ Hornady and was saying that they burned 3 barrels to get their load data finished for the 10th edition reloading manual. I'm not one to call things barrel burners withiuw having tested them first

I can't lie 40 rounds to find load 10 were somewhat quick to get ES and SD I don't shoot more than 2 rounds and back to ambient temperature. Like if I was hunting.
It has worked out very well for me and my long range hunting endeavor. Good thing I have a lot of guns.

I am saving my pennies to buy an RPR in 300wm with plans to rebarrel it in 300prc. I had the chance to work on one for a buddy and have been kicking myself for not buying one yet.

Very common problem, one of the guys I work with used to work @ Hornady and was saying that they burned 3 barrels to get their load data finished for the 10th edition reloading manual. I'm not one to call things barrel burners withiuw having tested them first
But you are... You didn't burn those 3 barrels out yourself, did you? ;)

Everybody loves the 300 win mag and it is a belted cart. I do love mine, I'm satisfied with it, I just want a little more HP to run the heaviest .30's

On the other hand I hear that many people don't like the 300 wby because it is belted, etc..and it is not popular among the LRS/H Community...

However, in my little research, the 300 RUM is only 100 fps faster or less than the 300 Wby with same bullet and barrel lenght.
Am I correct??

Besides, RUM COAL is longer, brass expensive and hard to find, kicks more, bigger bolt face, etc

Is it wise to upgrade a 300 win with a 300 RUM ?

Please explain me again, this is very interesting...

I don't know where people come up with a 300 weatherby is close to 300 rum some barrels are different faster/slower the rum has 10% more capacity Sammi spec to Sammi spec.
I have loaded for my step Brothers 300 weatherby 26 inch barrel h1000 retumbo 210 Berger vld touching the lands and it has not been close to my 300 ultra pushin 230's others probably have different experiences ADG makes brass for the RUM Norma, nosler,Peterson, Bertram

Everybody loves the 300 win mag and it is a belted cart. I do love mine, I'm satisfied with it, I just want a little more HP to run the heaviest .30's

On the other hand I hear that many people don't like the 300 wby because it is belted, etc..and it is not popular among the LRS/H Community...

However, in my little research, the 300 RUM is only 100 fps faster or less than the 300 Wby with same bullet and barrel lenght.
Am I correct??

Besides, RUM COAL is longer, brass expensive and hard to find, kicks more, bigger bolt face, etc

Is it wise to upgrade a 300 win with a 300 RUM ?

Please explain me again, this is very interesting...

300 rum is faster. The difference is in the brass. Far more brass available with the rum and it doesn't have a double radius shoulder (which sucks). Neither is superior.
I think if more gun is needed and you had a 300 wm, a 33 cal is the next step. Not enough difference in a 300 wm, rum, wby, nos, prc to justify it as a step up for the majority of hunting situations. Most of the discussions come down to personal preference. A belt is no big deal and there is a price for velocity increases in terms of recoil/ $$.
A 215 Berger face planted the elk in my avatar. All from a 300 wm and a double lung shot. I'm not enamored with the new 30 cals. But if it makes someone's world go round, god bless.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.