28 nosler, 300rum or 300prc ?

sika64

Going to have a new build done shortly. So out of the 3, (don't think I can go wrong with any of them) what caliber would you go with and why ? I have a 300wsm that shoots lights out with the 175 vld now at 2880. Rifle will be used for Elk/Deer out to 1000 if needed

Going to have a new build done shortly. So out of the 3, (don't think I can go wrong with any of them) what caliber would you go with and why ? I have a 300wsm that shoots lights out with the 175 vld now at 2880. Rifle will be used for Elk/Deer out to 1000 if needed

If looking to shoot factory I bet the 300 prc will have some of the most accurate factory ammo. Hornady has done a good job on that end with their CM and 6.5 PRC. I bet the 300 follows in the same steps. And their ammo is $40-$45 a box the places I looked.

Of the 3 I like the PRC the best just in case I need to shoot factory for some reason. All of them will work to 1k.

The 28nosler is going to shoot the flattest of all three, 300 rum will need an action with max mag length from a bdl setup, as detachable mags limit coal. The 300 prc has one advantage, cheap OTC ammo, but is sold out everywhere right now. ADG will have brass for all 3 soon, buy enough to burn the barrel out right away, that way you'll never be short if it comes scarce. The prc is a good design, basically a modern 300win, tad bit more capacity, but will not out run the 30 nosler rum, or 300wby. The 28 nosler will have the best ballistics of the group, but also shortest barrel life, 300rum 2nd place on ballistics, will last a minor bit longer on barrel, and the PRC the longest life, worst ballistics of the 3. I like 30cals for elk. Many been taken with the old ought six, so the prc has plenty of *** for that. 30 nosler is also a great design, basically a 2.5" long 300wby w/o a belt, will run within 75fps of a rum with equal barrel lengths. Pick your poison and rock on, people will bash the prc as its just a new mousetrap to do what many cases have done before it but its still new and doesn't have much a following. 300 rum has been killing big critters for a long time, 28nosler is undeniably king of hill for trajectory with a 195 at 3100fps which it'll do easily with proper freebore. Just deer mainly and the occasional elk? Go 28....elk every year? Go PRC or RUM. Just my opinion. I have a 338 rum, 300 norma imp, 28 nosler, 6.5 saum. First two mainly elk/bear guns, second two deer and antelope. No one tool does all jobs exceptionally, but one will do them all decently.

If your going to be hand loading look at the Sherman based 300PRC SI
It's a 300 PRC with a improved Chamber so you can shoot factory 300 PRC ammo if desired then if you want a boost you can handload for the improved version using your already fired 300PRC brass.

I guess I could have put the 30 nosler and 300 norma in the bunch
300 norma is an expensive route. Lapua faced actions are always premium priced. However the kelbly atlas is superb and fairly affordable. Lapua brass available, same velocity as the rum in equal barrel length but in a 2.5" case. The 20° shoulder causes a lot of growth on high psi loads, which is why a lot of guys go improved. The 30 nosler is about max you'll get from a Jeffery based case at 2.5" length, 99gr capacity. Ryan Pierce builds a wonderful 300nm improved, has gotten 215 Berger close to 3300fps from 26" barrel. Factory Berger/ABM ammo shoots 1/3 moa in his improved chamber fireforming. He's almost done with mine.

300 rum. Not a fad and good brass is available.
300 prc, just another marketing gimmick. Ultimately it comes down to how fast, flat, and smack the bullet has. 230 Berger will be nasty on anything it connects with.
I'm building a 338 edge because it's the next logical step after a 300 wm.

Any of those are plenty for deer/elk to 1000.
So are the .300WM and 7RM.
28 Nosler w. 195 @ 3150
.300RUM w. 230 @ 3100+
.300 PRC w. 225 @ 2900.

You leave a lot on the table with the .300 PRC vs. .300RUM. But also save on component and a bit or barrel life.

I have shot 18 different 28 Noslers. Amazing round. It will kill as far as you realistically want to hunt.

I have shot 11 different .300RUMs. With 210, 212, 215, 225, and 230s. All have been ridiculous. Huge powder charge, and huge energy. We have killed many elk with my personal .300RUM. It is my go-to LR elk rifle. ADG already makes excellent brass for it too.

Last edited:
I really like the Norma, the numbers speak for themselves but ease of loading is something that can't be overstated. Lapua brass is another benefit, but Peterson is also excellent.

I spent a ton of time trying to decide if I should build a 30 Nos, 300 PRC, or 300 Norma Mag.

I ended up going with the 300 NM for a couple reasons;
Mesa Arms had a special on their Crux Ti Lapua action ($1100), and Lapua brass is available.
Also I want to have enough juice to try out the Berger 245's if they ever come out.
I'm hoping I made the right choice.. I'll have it together this month.

The 300 PRC probably makes the most sense for good performance, long barrel life, and recoil.
If you're not into getting a Lapua action the 300 PRC would be pretty awesome.

I really like the Norma, the numbers speak for themselves but ease of loading is something that can't be overstated. Lapua brass is another benefit, but Peterson is also excellent.
Could you please give us the specs on your 300NM?
Specifically I'm curious about the weight, recoil,velocity, and bullet choice.
I'm pretty excited to get mine set up

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts